Help! What's in my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkal1964

Reaction score
Help I'm brewing a simple Saison. Currently boiling and out of nowhere there's little white floaters in my wort that were not there when I started to boil. does anyone know what this could be? Mostly Pilsner malt with a little bit of Vienna in Munich. Thanks
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413822404.861020.jpg

I concur, looks like hot break. The proteins eventually clump together into big balls, but start out as smaller clumps.

I thought so too, and I guess it is however; it has stayed the entire 90 minute boil and has only gotten worse. Is this common? I have never had this happen before.

Yup! It should settle out with the cold break (Irish Moss can help) after the wort is chilled.

It does get worse as more of the proteins clump together.
In my experience Vienna and Munich generate much more hot break than just Pale. It also depends on how rolling of a boil you get. A vigorous boil will lead to more hot break forming - is your boil about the same intensity as usual, or is today stronger?

Actually I had it a little more vigorous today, also 90 minutes. Well live and learn. Thanks for the quick responses all! Much appreciated.

Like mentioned, that is most definitely hot break.
It can and does get a lot worse than that sometimes.
I had it once so bad that it looked like big long stringy pieces of snot (kinda like egg drop soup)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Like mentioned, that is most definitely hot break.
It can and does get a lot worse than that sometimes.
I had it once so bad that it looked like big long stringy pieces of snot (kinda like egg drop soup)

I think I've seen that recipe, was it called "Loogie Lager"? :mug:

I feel like a newbie!:eek: I new it was hot break but had never had it that bad before. The picture does not do it justice, by the end it was real bad. ultimately it will fall out, no worries. Hit 1.063 should be good stuff.:mug:

Great post, I had also noticed this in some of my brews, but just figured it would settle out, now I know what it is! Your question helped another noob! Thanks!

I have a question about adding the hops. I got a true brew kit and the directions aren't clear about when to add them, if I understand you put them in during the boil and leave them until you bottle. It's not clear if they are bothering hops or aroma hops

Back