Help, What is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfox109

Reaction score
So Just finished dry hopping my Pliny the Elder clone and Im about to bottle and I noticed this stuff on the top, I don't know what it is, its a flesh colored spongy material and im worried it might be an infection because ive never seen it before. I did use Gelatin this time which was a first so im really hoping it has something to do with that. Oh and i did sanitize everything like crazy but im worried still I might have missed something thanks for the help in advance.
Photoon2010-03-17at14152.jpg

Doesn't look like an infection to me. You say you dry hopped, what kind of hops did you use? Could it just be bits of hops?

It doesnt look like hops sorry about the crappy pic, its more of a cream color then green. I had the hops in a fine mesh bag too and it doesnt look like any got out. I wish i had a good camera with me so i can get better detail but its very spongy looking and very porous. Some of it even looks like webbing.

It's just yeast that floats to the top. They come and they go. Yeast likes to bunch up like that stuff is in your picture.

Ok thanks so no worries. Cool, sorry about the newb freak out it tastes and smells delicious so I will no longer worry. Can I just scoop it out or when I rack it out just make sure I avoid it?

Here's a better pic for you . . . does it look like this ??? Definately Yeast . . .
No Worries . . .:mug:

100_1252-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Definitely looks like some sort of coagulated vegetable matter to me. If not yeast, then some other sort of coagulated protein.

Don't worry about it. When you siphon just avoid sucking it up. I wouldn't bother scooping it out.

Back