Help! What BJCP category should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph2002

Reaction score
I brewed a SMaSH ale, using two row and saaz, with the goal of learning exactly what people mean when they describe saazy. Recipe was:

10# two row, mashed 75 minutes at 148, fly sparge at 168 to collect 7.5 G wort

2 oz Saaz @ 60
1 oz saaz @ 30
1 oz Saaz @ 0

WLP 001, fermented at 60 degrees ambient for 20 days, cold crashed, and clarified with gelatin.

The beer is quite good, and I'd like to enter it in competition, but can't quite place it in a category. I'm not sure it's clean enough for 2B, since I used ale yeast and didn't lager... The hop aroma isn't very strong, so 10A isn't really a perfect fit either.

It tastes a lot like Stella, and I considered 1C since it allows for low levels of yeast character, and since Stella is a commercial example in that category...

Any suggestions?

I'd call it a blonde ale -- it's a broad category that would fit fine. If you wanted something else I guess you could try kolsch or cream ale, though neither of those is a great match.

Back