HELP! What base category to enter this Style 23?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I've been debating with several people about where my American Strong Ale belongs in an upcoming BJCP contest. It'll be in the specialty category but I need a base category.

It's got a fair amount of bitterness, but not much in the way of classic American IPA hop aromas. The beer was oaked (pretty heavily) over medium toast American wood.

It's definitely got some malt complexity with Rye, Special B, Aromatic, crystal, honey malt and a touch of peat smoked. Despite the complex grist, it's rather dry.

The closest commercial example I can think of would be Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

My first thought (and still my current inclination) is American Barleywine. Others have suggested English IPA, English Barleywine (I don't think it's sweet enough), Imperial IPA (not enough emphasis on citrusy/floral hop aromas IMO).

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :mug:

If the wood flavor is pretty heavy, you may want to consider entering it as a 22C either instead of 23 or in addition to. 23 is really for beers that don't fit anywhere else in the style guidelines. I feel like if you enter it in 23, the best you could call it would be Imperial Oaked American Amber/Strong Ale, but I don't think that's enough to justify putting it into 23.

Good thought with 22C... Somehow none of us came up with that despite oak being the elephant in the room. So, now we're leaning toward 22C with Amber Ale as a base.

You could always enter it in both categories if you really want to as well and then see how it does. But, yeah, amber ale base and give it a "professional" name :rockin:

Back