Help - Way too much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just kegged and force pressurized my first c-keg.

I forced pressurized it using real high pressure at low temp.. I relieved the head space (as instructed) and poured my first pint.. It was pure foam.

I let it sit for a while more and turned the pressure up to five pounds. Poured again, way too foam.. So what do I do now. I have releaved all excess head pressure and it is sitting in the kegerator waiting for y'alls instructions.

Thanks!

A few questions to start, how high was the pressure you force carbed with?
Also, how long did you leave it to carb? How long is your beer line and what diameter is it? If you answer these we may be able to help more. Paul

Paulinuke said:
A few questions to start, how high was the pressure you force carbed with?
Also, how long did you leave it to carb? How long is your beer line and what diameter is it? If you answer these we may be able to help more. Paul

I left some of this information out the first time due to a slight bit of embarassment over the technique I used..

I forced at 60PSI and 40degreees. Basically followed the directions here (knew it was a mistake, but i am impatient!!)...http://www.homebrew.com/articles/article12018101.shtml

ID of my beerline is 1/4 w/ about 3' between keg and faucet

You WAY overcarbed. You will need to bleed off CO2 over time to get the carb levels down. Just take it off the gas and open the release valve until all the gas is released. This will start to allow the CO2 that is in solution to escape. You'll need to bleed it off every day for a while I should think. After a few days try pouring some and see what happens. Repeat the process until you get the carb level you want.

Wow, first of 60 PSI is a lot, how long was it under pressure? I am sure you already know this but most find it to be best to just hook up at serving pressure and give it a week, your beer will be better conditioned anyway. It also sounds like you beerline is too short and too large in diameter. I have very good luck with 3/16 thick wall line arounf 5 feet long. This seems to work for me with serving pressures up to 15 PSI. I would guess that your beer is over carbed. If it was mine I would leave it sit for a while not hooked up to CO2 and periodicaly vent the pressure with the relief valve. I suppose if you really didn't want to wait you could unhook the keg, give it a good shake and vent the gas a few times and then try pouring again, but some of the foam may be from your oversized and short line. I hope this helps. Paul

Read this on force carbing by shaking:

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/ForceCarbonation.html

As for your pour, you will be much happier with 5-6 ft of 3/16 ID tubing, as the pressure drop will ballance the co2 volume better (assuming you like your beer carbed at the rates common in most american pubs).

Also, I would recomend a serving/carbing pressure of 12 PSI. It takes about a week for your beer to carb at this pressure (with no shaking), but most beers could really use this time for aging, and you never have to mess with adjusting your pressure TWICE, every time you pour a pint. What a PITA!

Thanks so much for the help guys. I switched out the beer tube to 3/16' @ 5'.. Shook it up, relieved it. Shook it up again, relieved it again.. Hooked it up to the regulator. Set it at 5PSI and had a nice beer!!

My Nephew still can't pour from my kegerator, he has the same issue, OPEN THE VALVE ALL THE WAY when pouring. simple fix...

I use 4' of line and serve at 12PSI it works fine (this really isn't rocket science)

budbo said:
(this really isn't rocket science)

nope, its fluid dynamics :) Rocket Science is totally different

Sorry, couldn't resist

Aust1227 said:
Thanks so much for the help guys. I switched out the beer tube to 3/16' @ 5'.. Shook it up, relieved it. Shook it up again, relieved it again.. Hooked it up to the regulator. Set it at 5PSI and had a nice beer!!

the only problem is 5psi is a low CO2 volume beer. you've got to turn it back up to 10-12 psi every day after your 'drinking session' has ended...else your beer will get flat tasting.

I find on my system, 8 feet of 3/16" line at 12psi gives me a good pour, and maintains carbonation. I like my beer a little extra carby, which isn't too far off from the styles I normally brew.

Back