Help Wanted: Boneyard RPM IPA Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read, WLP002 English Ale Yeast is the White Labs equivalent of Wyeast 1968. However, according to White Labs' site, attenuation on WLP002 is only 63-70%. I was considering using WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast instead, which supposedly gets 70-80% attenuation. Does anyone think that would be a mistake to use this yeast?

I like 007. I use it on a union Jack clone, and it is able to attenuate a bit better than 1968/002.

I just had this on tap last night. It's really dry and has no body whatsoever. Was also a lot less citrusy than I remember, this was more piney.

Hey guys, this is a direct quote from Tony, (one of the Boneyard brewers) about the Armored Fist; I figured it be useful since Armored Fist, Notorious, RPM, and Hop Venom all have very similar if not the same hop profile or taste.

"Midnight wheat ,Carmel Munich , Munich ,soarchi ace , citra, cascades . $4# per bbl . FG 1.018 usually ."

This was taken from the "Fans of Boneyard Beer" Facebook page. Thought it might be useful.

I definitely taste Columbus or some similar hop in both RPM and Hop Venom. I brewed an IPA recently with Citra, Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Columbus hops with Columbus being the majority and my both myself and my wife thought that it tasted like Hop Venom. I'm going to keep playing around with different hop combinations until I get something close.

So for your 12-gallon batch, Tim, I think I've plugged it all into BrewSmith properly. Can you confirm that I got the numbers right?

24 lb. Great Western Premium 2-Row
2 lb. Great Western Munich (6L)
1.58 lb. Great Western C-30
1 lb. Corn Sugar

Mash at 150 for 75 minutes

.5 oz Bravo (15.5%) - 60 min
1 oz Bravo (15.5%) - 15 min
1 oz Chinook (13.0%) - 5 min
2.0 oz Centennial (10.1%) - 5 min
1.6 oz Cascade (8.2%) - 5 min
.5 oz Bravo (15.5%) - 5 min
3 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - 5 min

Wyeast 1968

Dry hops at end of primary for 9 days:
2 oz Citra
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Chinook
2 oz Centennial

Carbonation to 2.4 volumes

I'm going to try to brew this soon (on a much smaller scale -- 2 gallons, in fact), but if you feel the hops were too citrusy then I might try a slightly different combination. Just curious to hear which hops you'd change out. For example, do you think there's validity in kigerbrewing's comment about the prominence of Columbus hops?

Hey Adam, after having about a dozen people try the beer I brewed, I would say its not very close to RPM, or less close than I originally thought. I think less crystal, maybe some wheat malt? maybe more corn sugar to dry it out more. There could be Columbus, I had two guys say they felt like RPM had Columbus. Honestly, I would try something quite different next go around. I am not sure about the Bravo hops, just something about the beer I made that is not harmonizing. Never used Bravo before, so maybe its Bravo? Wish I could give you more guidance or a solid recommendation.

Dang. Well, it was a valiant effort. If you make a second attempt at this clone, I hope you'll share it with us! And hopefully smarter and more experienced brewers than myself will take a crack at it, too. (I'll be trying to brew a variation at some point, but after I do a little more research).

Dang. Well, it was a valiant effort. If you make a second attempt at this clone, I hope you'll share it with us! And hopefully smarter and more experienced brewers than myself will take a crack at it, too. (I'll be trying to brew a variation at some point, but after I do a little more research).

I posted this a page or two back, but this should be closer:

0.75oz Bravo @60
1oz each of Cascade, Chinook, and Columbus @5
Whirlpool: 1 ounces each of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe,

Dry hop with 1oz of Citra, 1oz of Centennial, and 0.5 ounces of Columbus

I posted this a page or two back, but this should be closer:

0.75oz Bravo @60
1oz each of Cascade, Chinook, and Columbus @5
Whirlpool: 1 ounces each of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe,

Dry hop with 1oz of Citra, 1oz of Centennial, and 0.5 ounces of Columbus

That sounds like a good place to re-start. BTW, congrats on the CDA win!

Thanks, it'll be on tap on the 19th, you should be able to find it somewhere nearby.

Don't give up on the clone after 1 try man! It took 200 pages of discussion and I did like 14 test batches of Heady Topper till I got it close. I'll give this one a go in a few weeks when I'm back from vacation and hope we make some progress.

I am not giving up! ;)Just don't think my first attempt is close enough to recommend as a a clone. Wow, 14 batches of HT? That is dedication!

My CDA scored a 34, used midnight wheat exclusively for dark grains with MO and c-60 Simcoe, Columbus 1968 yeast. 1.068/68 IBU Was a bit thin. Can't wait to try your "pro" beer!

Has anyone done some more experimenting on cloning this beer? I would love to find a clone recipe for this brew.

I just tried your Murky Depths CDA at Portland U Brew. No wonder it won the CDA competition, it was delicious. My attempt at RPM was not very close so I'll be interested in what you come up with.

My attempts got much better over the last few weeks, so though I am not super close, the beers all came out good, and got better with some conditioning. The last few pints of the keg(9 weeks) seem much closer to what I was shooting for.

I have been continuing to drink RPM at many places around PDX and I am finding it is not a very consistent beer. Batch to batch seems to have a lot of variability, to kind of a moving target as far as cloning goes. Anyone else experience this?

My attempts got much better over the last few weeks, so though I am not super close, the beers all came out good, and got better with some conditioning. The last few pints of the keg(9 weeks) seem much closer to what I was shooting for.

I have been continuing to drink RPM at many places around PDX and I am finding it is not a very consistent beer. Batch to batch seems to have a lot of variability, to kind of a moving target as far as cloning goes. Anyone else experience this?

I was just going to point that out. It really varies. Hop character especially, though sometimes there is a lot less body and it seems watered down to me. Could be recipe changes or age, not sure.

Awesome! What changes have you been experimenting with? Is it pretty similar to the recipe that was posted earlier?

I should have used the word "batches" from first attempts. We only brewed this once; 4 slightly different hop schedules from one wort. So, my only wisdom here is the beer needs to age a bit, add more sugar, and/or mash lower temp: 150.
My posted recipe is a good IPA, better without late Bravo addition I think, but not the RPM I thought was RPM...that beer is different every time I have it. It's like commercial Homebrew!

You guys are close. Bravo is used as a late addition. Look at Londan ale yeast:)
If you guys like RPM you should see if your local pub can get Hop Venom(double IPA) or there triple IPA. They will be bottling soon too. There in the process of moving to a larger building
These guys are hands down my favorite local brewery
Keep at the clone your getting close

You guys are close. Bravo is used as a late addition. Look at Londan ale yeast:)
If you guys like RPM you should see if your local pub can get Hop Venom(double IPA) or there triple IPA. They will be bottling soon too. There in the process of moving to a larger building
These guys are hands down my favorite local brewery
Keep at the clone your getting close

Sounds as if you know a bit more.
Any thoughts about speculation of a moving target when it comes hop usage?

This beer has been different the last few times I was in Bend. Great every time, but different.

I've bought a few pints and a growler of RPM at a number of different places recently. It definitely tastes different from when I first tried it over a year ago. It did not have much body and almost no lacing on the glass. It was still good, just not great like I thought it was when I first tried it. I really wish there was a recipe for the original formula.

Thank you for the work you've done so far RPM is hands down my favourite beer and we live 10 hours away from Bend so I don't get it often. If I can make something even remotely like RPM I would be exceedingly happy!

Boneyard RPM is now available in a kit from brewcraft. Similar to some of the rogue ales.

It's been a year since I had any but if it helps this late in the game I can give you ABV, OG, FG, AE, RE, color, and perceived IBU. So long as someone can send a growler plus the amount needed to perform the analysis.

They do have kits out but there not much help. The grain is all bagged up and the hop are listed as 1 2 3 and 4. So you know when to put them in but you don't know what's in each bag. :confused:

how did you get that?

If that's the grain bill, cool.
But what is the hop schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do your research it is not hard to figure out.... this recipe is all about very little BITTER and Huge nose and hop flavor.... how do you get that in a Beer?

Read the instructions on how do they make the box RPM it has the grain bill instruction.

They do have kits out but there not much help. The grain is all bagged up and the hop are listed as 1 2 3 and 4. So you know when to put them in but you don't know what's in each bag. :confused:

That kit tells you a lot... Example.... When it shows you a small bag or hops to put in at FW and 2 large bags one for WP and the other for DH... you learn a lot.... What kind of hops go in at FW? WP? DH? not what name but kind? listen to Tony's Video and why he uses 5-6 different hops..... Call or email praising Boneyard and ask what hops go in it.... they will tell you but not how to.....then think about the hops they told you and put then puzzle together

This may be a great grain bill but I don't think its RPM. I tried it this weekend, way to dark.

This color is 7.9 SRM with 6 gallon batch 7.9 pre boil.... and that is way to DARK????

yeah and there's no sugar in it...

Watch Tony's Video he always adds Dextrose and I would think 10%

Plug this in to brew smith and tell me what you get.....

I hope this helps

100 million, I tried your grain bill and my color was 15.3 with .9 black patent. 15 gallon batch. I minus the black patent from beer smith and got 7.8. I think somehow I messed up on to much black patent. After looking over a kit at our brew store it does give a lot of clues. Most hops going in at wp.

Do your research it is not hard to figure out.... this recipe is all about very little BITTER and Huge nose and hop flavor.... how do you get that in a Beer?

This color is 7.9 SRM with 6 gallon batch 7.9 pre boil.... and that is way to DARK????

smh

we wanted a source, not common brewing knowledge.

and yes, 7.9 IS way too dark for RPM. have you even had it before?

you shouldn't go spouting off information/guidance in threads like this if you don't have solid information. it can confuse new brewers and water down a thread making it difficult for people to get good info (what makes this site amazing). you should consider deleting your post(s) as they are flat out misleading

case in point...

100 million, I tried your grain bill and my color was 15.3 with .9 black patent. 15 gallon batch. I minus the black patent from beer smith and got 7.8. I think somehow I messed up on to much black patent. After looking over a kit at our brew store it does give a lot of clues. Most hops going in at wp.

thats a shame.

ive spoken with Tyler Brown of Barley Browns. he recently did a collab with Boneyard and talked about their hopping routine on RPM. He said he can't remember the batch size, but they only add 1 lb of bittering hops at beginning of boil - they load it up during whirlpool after that.

smh

you shouldn't go spouting off information/guidance in threads like this if you don't have solid information. it can confuse new brewers and water down a thread making it difficult for people to get good info (what makes this site amazing). you should consider deleting your post(s) as they are flat out misleading

case in point...

thats a shame.

ive spoken with Tyler Brown of Barley Browns. he recently did a collab with Boneyard and talked about their hopping routine on RPM. He said he can't remember the batch size, but they only add 1 lb of bittering hops at beginning of boil - they load it up during whirlpool after that.

+1. Far too dark for RPM. I can attest to Tyler having said this about Boneyard and how they hop RPM.

I think 100million is just trying to help. According to beersmith 7.9 looks about right for rpm. I think I messed up on to much black patent.

I think his sources from the video, maybe a call or email plus the rpm kit itself are pretty good sources! The grain bill is probably pretty darn close. And the hop schedule is a huge plus. And we know the hops they use. I think were getting close! :)

Here is a screen shot of my SRM

This is a 6 gallon batch and start with 7.9 gallons in boil

This isn't my first rodeo....

you must be plugging in something wrong in brewsmith
you more then likely added 9 oz of black pat instead of .9 oz for 15 gallon

If I plug in 3 oz in my brew smith it is 14.6 SRM

t is .3 oz or .02lb for 7.9 SRM

and I love how you went to the brew store and learned something about the hop addition.

now go weigh each bag and you will have another story or piece to the puzzle....

smh

case in point...

thats a shame.

Jammin

plug in the #'s in a brewsmith you will see bela is wrong on his comment

Ask Tyler Brown what SRM is is RPM

and about your info about the hop addition at Beginning boil and load up on whirlpool ... you are 100% right.

and have I had it..... YES :rockin::rockin::rockin::tank:

Back