Help troubleshooting my new DIY RIMS Controller, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I'll start this by saying I'm far from an electrical engineer. I understand the basics, but I'm brand new to all things PID and SSR.

We installed 3 switches - 1 for each pump (these work fine) and 1 for the PID/RIMS setup. The lights corresponding to the switches are working properly as well.

The temp probe appears to be reading correctly.

When the PID "Out" light goes on we can hear the mechanical switch working but nothing is sent to the SSR and the RIMS tube doesn't power on.

A voltage meter put directly on the PID SSR output reads zero even when the out light clicks on.

I don't have a wiring diagram but I'm 99% certain the problem isn't in the wiring, rather in either my programming or a compatibility issue with between the PID and the SSR.

I've heard of people burning out their PID SSR in this way. BY my best guess this is what happened to me.

I've read a few things that indicate there are specific SSR requirements for different PID controllers. Here is what I bought. I'm hoping the problem is as simple as having the wrong SSR for my PID:

PID:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MMOEWY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

SSR:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087ZTN08/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any dumbed-down help that can be offered is greatly appreciated. I've been dying to get this thing up and running for months now!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to burst your bubble but you've got the wrong pid, you need the SNR version... UNLESS you've got a separate 12V or so power supply feeding half the relay

Not bursting my bubble at all. I'm glad that's all it is. Sucks that I'm out the $25, but if buying a new PID fixes the issue and I can finally use this thing, I'm thrilled!

So, if I grab an SNR PID controller, I should be good to go?

If you have an old wall-wart that pushes DC volts, you could just wire the + out into half the relay and the - side to - on SSR but a true SSR type PID controller would be the better way to go

Yeah, I think for the $25 or so it's worth it to do it right. Too late to return my other PID but we'll just call it a lesson learned. SNR PID it is.

Latest posts

Back