HELP Top of secondary ferment / cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plantbasedferments

Reaction score
Just racked this into secondary ferment. Is this ok? Picture for reference. Any suggestions for what to do next, I was going to let it sit for 2 months. Will this top layer settle or will it oxidate and ruin the batch? Any info will help

Attachments

• 39FE1AD2-2D76-44F2-AD4A-B53888C09A9F.jpeg
    39FE1AD2-2D76-44F2-AD4A-B53888C09A9F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 3FA356BD-9CDA-4838-B15F-2BB3ED78DABA.jpeg
    3FA356BD-9CDA-4838-B15F-2BB3ED78DABA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Second pic is after racking? That's a lot of floating stuff. Might add some pectic enzyme to get it to break down a bit. Even when I start out with fresh pressed, when rack off after primary don't see much of anything floating. Leaves most of that behind. Plus I fill to within inch of top to minimize airspace. Others will have better ideas. That's a lot of floaties.

Yes I did primary for 8 days had that stuff on top the during. That is second ferment, I’m not worried to much about air space since I do have an airlock? I’m hoping the floaties will settle? But I totally don’t know. Thanks for the input.

Airspace is an oxygen source. So general principle is to limit it as much as possible during secondary when the yeast is no longer producing much C02.

Yesterday racked off two one gallon batches. They were 4 inches down the bottle during primary, you can see where they are now that in secondary. As well as the 5 gallon behind. The one on the left is fresh pressed/wild yeast, on right is store bought cheap stuff. I top off all most all the way with fresh juice. This also causes the yeast to eat the new sugar and produce a little more C02, which is good as it displaces any O2 intro'd during racking.

The airlocks have vodka in them.

IMG_2108.JPG

Yep, I agree with what Rick said.is right. I wonder if you transferred from Primary too early as that looks like the sort of buildup that you get during the turbulent phase of primary fermentation. If that is the case it should settle although your head space looks like too much. Add some juice to to top it up (or even boiled water or sterilised glass marbles, but it does take a lot of marbles!)

So just add some water and wait? Yea I agree I probably went to second fermenter too soon.
Don't worry at all about it. You can rack all you want. I sometimes get three rackings or more during secondary. IMHO it keeps the dead yeasties from flavoring the cider by pulling the cider off the top occasionally.

Back