Help-too bitter Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knuckleball

Reaction score
A fine mess I've gotten myself into. In brewing my first full boil, I failed to account for the increased hops utilization and now have a bitter beer. It is currently dry hopping (1 oz Amarillo) in secondary.

I recall reading somewhere, possibly on these very boards, that a pound or so of DME can be boiled in some water and added to the beer and further fermented to help balance out the bitterness.

Does anybody have any experience with this or any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

At this point, I'd just let it age for a few weeks and try it again. It will lose some harshness with time.

Wow that was fast...and I love that time can cure a lot of problems.

I bittered with Columbus, then aroma hopped with a mishmash of Centennial, Simcoe, Crystal, & Amarillo, mostly odds lots from prior batches.

.50 Columbus 60 mins
.50 Columbus 20 mins
.75 Amarillo/Crystal/Simcoe 10 mins
.75 Amarillo/Crystal/Simcoe 5 mins
1.0 Amarillo dry hop

7# of LME; OG = 1.068 FG = 1.013

The projected IBU's were around 32 (using a 4 gallon pot) but when going to a full boil this # went to 47.

The best word to describe the flavor/aroma is "grapefruit." This flavor did not appear until today, the 3rd day of dry hopping. Although I haven't had it in a while, I have found in the past that grapefruit tends to mellow out fairly quickly.

Well, seeing the hop schedule, what you've got there is a delicious juicy grapefruit bomb. Embrace it! :)

Well, seeing the hop schedule, what you've got there is a delicious juicy grapefruit bomb. Embrace it! :)

I don't even know if that is bomb worthy. Give it some time, I bet it will be delish. Especially depending on how much of those late editions were Crystal instead of Amarillo or Simcoe.

Wait it out, you will be fine, I promise.

Yeah, 47 IBUs is not an IBU bomb... but it's fun saying "grapefruit bomb."

Thanks to all who responded. Sounds like a little more aging is in order for my bitter grapefruit bomb, so that's what I'm going to do.

I'd wait a bit, but a small amount of lactose (~1 oz) can help balance overly bitter beer. The sweetness will bring the malt out more.

I'd wait a bit, but a small amount of lactose (~1 oz) can help balance overly bitter beer. The sweetness will bring the malt out more.
Have you tried this? is this 1 oz lactose per gallon? I've got a 5G batch where I scaled down a 10G AG recipe..but um, yeah I forgot to divide the hop additions in half, havent' tasted it yet, but I might have to cut down on the bitterness.

So, at this point I've decided upon the following:

1) add 1 oz crystal (dryhop) to balance/counteract/just go with the bombastic grapefruit. Its already had a week in primary, a week in secondary (unhopped) plus another week w/ 1 oz amarillo. I would add a fourth week w/ the additional 1 oz of crystal. After that, chill, transfer to serving keg, and carb for another week. Then, drink it.

2) but, before drinking, change label from "amber" to "ipa" (the other part still says "beer")

At 49 IBUs (tastes a bit more bitter than that) it seemed an IPA that needed some more hops to live up to its new label.

Anybody?

Back