Help to identify top floating substance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimPilot

Reaction score
On my 40th batch and this substance appears to float on the top. Fermentation is complete (1120 to 1030)

To me, it appears that Fermaid-O wasn't used up all the way. That also could mean my scheduling / recipe requires a bit too much Fermaid-O....

Any thoughts.

NOTE - color is more yelloish. LED light makes it look like spores of mold.

20230513_094243.jpg

20230513_094228.jpg

Looks ok to me. I'd say the floaties are yeast, protein, maybe some fermaid, and other misc junk. Nothing to worry about. I don't see any telltale pellicles.

I'm not worried about pellicles, but incorrect application of nutrients. Typically after fermentation top looks clear with nothing floating. But as pictures those items worry be and my liver.

That's 11.8% and likely is not done. I don't know what is on the top but I have never seen it before. It isn't necessarily bad; I just don't know what it is.

I'd likely rack from under it and leave it all in the original fermenter and try to restart a stuck fermentation.

You said this is your 40th batch. I don't know if this is some bacterial infection or not. Do you change between different sanitizers or only use the same one over and over? I use Star-San but periodically switch to Iodophor so that I am not promoting a bacterial strain that is resistant to a specific sanitizer. Something to consider.

Back