Help this nooB: Yeast flavor after bottle aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adroetter

Reaction score
So I brewed an amazing APA (my second batch) that went through the primary in 2wks, secondary for 3wks and bottled for 3 wks before openning... The first few beers were the best APA I've EVER had :mug:, I mean just wonderful beer. After a month or so I took a handful with me to a tailgate and openned one up but the taste had changed quite a bit and seemed to leave a yeast bite to the sweet sweet beer that once was. Don't get me wrong, the beer isn't aweful but it just isn't as good.

Why does the beer taste this way? What is it that I could have done or could do differently or is this just a matter of time before it clears up? :confused:

I am by no means a pro, and I'm sure someone will chime in shortly... However, IPAs and APAs generally don't age that well. For anything with a lot of hops I follow the adage "aged beer is old beer."

Hop intensity can decline fairly quick so best thing is to refrigerate them when you like them and drink them quicker. I tried dryhopping just a single bottle in a mild to see what citra hop was like after two weeks i refrigerated one for a few days, i got a lot more hop flavor than aroma aroma and the pellot hops did settle without any sediment in the pour.Maybe i should have tried it after a week.Maybe it wouldnt be carbed then. Just sharing my experience.Im just a little disapointed with the aroma maybe there is a reason to dryhopp before bottleing but how long i dont seem to get that yet/.
I actually had this happen with a summit ipa i did. The very first beer about a week bottled was intensly hoppy great,after that i was like,what where is that wow that i got a week ago?Although i didnt dry hop and it was moderatly hopped for an ipa. so my question is how much hops did you use?
Did you refrigerate them when they tasted good or condtion them?

Back