help the newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99expo

Reaction score
hey guys got a few ??? for ya. first i have a single stage kit and brewed midday saturday with a 3 gal boil.
1 should I leave in carboy for 1 week and bottles for 3 weeks(thats what my book said)...or carboy 2 weeks and bottles 2-3 weeks

2 can I open the carboy any time to check the gravity again

3 if i cann't do #2......my gav of my wort was around .06 and from what ive read that is really high so did adding the other 2 gallons bring that down

4 does a bubble every 50-60 seconds sound right for today

thanks a lot guys:mug:

Let it ferment for at least 2 weeks before bottling if you are not using a secondary fermenter. Some of us go longer but if you are in a hurry it would be OK. It iwll need at least 2 weeks in a bottle for good carbonation.

Check the gravity after 1 week. There is no sense really in doing it sooner. Good beer takes time even if there is little activity in the airlock. Make sure everything is sanitary and all will be good.

When you added the water you did indeed lower the gravity.

Plan a second brew as soon as you have room because the firstone goes quick.

You can check the gravity anytime you please, but every time you open your fermenter, you expose your beer to potential contamination. Good homebrew takes time, so just be patient, and check the gravity when you think it might be ready to bottle. Everything else you did sounds just fine. RDWHAHB!

2 weeks sounds good then. just have two grin and bear it with some miller lites(no home brew yet....:mad: damn it)
thanks guys:tank:

I wanted to test the gravity all the time on my first few batches so I know how you feel. Once you've done a few you will not be so tempted. The less you measure the gravity the more beer you get in your bottles.

Miller Lite? Go buy yourself some decent brew while you wait! Start with Sam Adams.

the miller was the back up for the boston lager.....got to get rid of it some how haha

Ok, if you must get rid of a certain beer, BMC or not, drinking it all is the best solution!

Latest posts

Back