HELP STOUT LOVERS. Need Stout Recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
I have made my fair share of beer mostly light, some IPA, SMASH, even an Irish red but I have never brewed a stout. I am looking for something smooth, and I don't necessary like coffee. Here is an example of one of my favorite stouts. (I am not necessarly looking to cone this or even have a 9.1 ABV its just an example of the flavor profile I like)

tempt.JPG

I just brewed a stout that I hope will fit that bill but it's a little too early to tell.

78% Pale 2-row
8.5% Flaked oats
4.5% Chocolate malt
3.5% Crystal 120
3% Carafa II
2.5% Roast barley

This shouldn't have too much of that coffee or roast flavour you might not want. I made it to an OG of about 1.075 with 45 IBU worth of whatever bittering hop you want. WYeast 1450 and 1318 are really nice for stouts though there are many options.

You can add lactose to up the unfermentable sugars but the nice thing about 1318 is it finishes a bit sweet so you could do without. The oats provide nice body.

Here is one I brew up often. Great on nitro, but also good bottled. I rotate this and an Irish Red on my nitro tap.

Since the brew you mentioned is a milk stout this recipe would work great. A lot of milk stout recipes call for a full pound of lactose, but I find that too much so I cut it back some and it is perfect. I have even done it using 8 oz and it works too.

7lb 8oz Marris Otter
8oz C60
8oz Chocolate malt
8 oz roasted Barley
8 oz debittered black
12 oz lactose.

EKG Hops to 29 IBU.

Yeast.... WY 1084, WY 1318 or even S-04 all work.

enjoy

I just finished a sweet stout thats ready for the bottle. The flavor will continue to evolve since its a dark beer but right now, its got a huge bittersweet chocolate character with lots of malty chewiness.

3#Munich 10L
3#Pilsner (I ran out of pale ale malt and didnt want to wait to brew this so just used some pilsner)
1.5#Flaked Oat I toasted these in the over till they just *barely* turned light brown
1#Lactose
10.3oz Pale Chocolate
7.2oz Midnight Wheat
6oz Carafa II
6oz Honey Malt
4.2oz Special B

22IBU from Warrior FWH and US05 yeast. I ended up hitting high efficiency on this and had a OG of 1.062 and its finished at 1.023. It's full bodied and sweet with a very strong bittersweet chocolate character. I wish I had pale ale malt instead of pilsner but I don't think it would make a gigantic difference in the end product in this case (same with if I had english yeast handy, but again I dont think that wouldve changed the beer massively).

I know I have a little bit of a kitchen sink thing going on but I don't think the beer is muddled at all.

Here is one I brew up often. Great on nitro, but also good bottled. I rotate this and an Irish Red on my nitro tap.

Since the brew you mentioned is a milk stout this recipe would work great. A lot of milk stout recipes call for a full pound of lactose, but I find that too much so I cut it back some and it is perfect. I have even done it using 8 oz and it works too.

7lb 8oz Marris Otter
8oz C60
8oz Chocolate malt
8 oz roasted Barley
8 oz debittered black
12 oz lactose.

EKG Hops to 29 IBU.

Yeast.... WY 1084, WY 1318 or even S-04 all work.

enjoy

I keg, not bottle but I don't have a nitro tap..how hard is that to put in? Never mind, I just looked it up its a bit pricey for right now.

Putting it on a regular tap is good. I used to bottle it before I got my nitro tap and it was good.

Ok, I am going to try this recipe I might bottle it. I have never done that but I don't want to tie up my tap with a beer that will prob last awhile.

I have made my fair share of beer mostly light, some IPA, SMASH, even an Irish red but I have never brewed a stout. I am looking for something smooth, and I don't necessary like coffee. Here is an example of one of my favorite stouts. (I am not necessarly looking to cone this or even have a 9.1 ABV its just an example of the flavor profile I like)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=210376

Excellent Stout. Lower ABV. Good bottled or kegged.

Here is one that I have brewed several times and am constantly trying to get more of the roasty flavor out of it. I started off trying to brew a clone of Left Hand's milk stout. I'm not Gordon Strong but I think it is close and I like it. In fact after this post, I am going to some more digging on what I can do to get more of the roast flavor to shine.

11 gallon batch. Mash at 150 *F. Mine ended up lower than usual ABV at 5.1%. 1.053 OG to 1.014 FG. 27 IBUs. My efficiency is low (which I am trying to figure out): 67% I used to be close to 80%. Anyway.

15 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.9 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 5.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.6 %
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 16.9 IBUs
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
2.10 oz Challenger [8.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 10.9 IBUs
2 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 9 7.3 %
2.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 10 -
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 11 7.3 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 12 3.7 %​

One thing I do is that I cold steep the dark grains in a bowl the night before. This is the chocolate malt and the roasted barley. I put a hop bag in the bowl, then pour the crushed grains into the bowl. To those 3# of grains, I added 2 gallons of water. When you're ready for the tea, just pull the bag out of the bowl. It will be black as the devils soul.

I ended up with about 1.5 gallons of the dark tea. Make sure you factor in the volume of the tea in your water calcs. Which may be tough if you don't know how much you will end up with. I add my dark tea right at flameout. My reasoning was that if mashing the grains (for an hour) would lend harshness to the beer, then I wouldn't want to boil even the tea for an hour. But on the other hand, I couldn't see adding just plain old non-heated tea to my precious wort. So I split the diff. The temps at flame out are high enough to (hopefully) kill off anything but its not that hot for too long to make it harsh.

I have never brewed this without cold steeping so I don't know how much smoother the cold steeping is versus otherwise. But it is smooth....

Good luck whatever you decide.

Back