Help: Steam Train Porter clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertjohnson

Reaction score
This is a wonderfully balanced porter put out by a local brewery that I try to support. I want to drink this particular brew more than I can afford to though, so please help me clone it. If you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor. For tasting notes, see Steam Train Porter - Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Company & Taproom - BeerAdvocate

Here's what the label reads:
Steam Train is named for the historic treains that line Snoqualmie's main street. This robust dark ale is brewed with Chocolate, Brown and Crystal malts that give it chocolate and roasted coffee flavors. The sweetness is offset by Fuggles hops for beer enjoyed by itself or with a rich dessert.

Original Gravity - 1.056 ¤ International Bitter Units - 28 ¤ Alcohol by volume - 5.0%

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.018
ABV: 5.1%
ADF: 68%
6.6 lb Cooper's LME
11 oz Light DME
1.0 lb Chocolate 350
1.0 lb Brown malt 70
1.0 lb Crystal 40

1.25 Fuggles 60 min
0.50 Fuggles 10 min

Yeast? With the attenuation at around 68% and FG at 1.018, I'm thinking of using Safale S-04 and fermenting around mid 60*s.

This looks like a great attempt to clone - just do it, and figure out what to fine tune next time. Repeated iterations will bring you to perfection, and will keep your open wallet away from SFBC&T to boot. Everything I can discern from the description, you already have covered. It's been a very long time since I've used Cooper's, so I don't remember what sort of attenuation to expect, but you may end up with a lower FG than 1.018.

Dos Locos

Latest posts

Back