Help stc 1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubuggas

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and need help.
I want to connect my stc controller to my fridge/freezer.
On the front of the freezer door is a digital display control that controls both fridge and freezer.
It has a mother board and a connection with Red, Black and Orange wires.
So my question is where should the stc controller be connected and to which wires?
😫🍺

Make/model?
Do you know if there are any internal fans?
If you have set a fridge temperature, unplug the unit, then plug it back in, does the fridge remember the prior setting?

Cheers!

Hi Westinghouse Virtuoso
No fans in control unit just a small connection with the three wires red, black and orange

The simplest way to operate your fridge would be to wire the original line power cord to the Cool relay output of your STC-1000. But, that method would depend on the fridge control unit having "memory" - that the temperature setting would persist between power cycles.

At this point that would require you reconnecting whatever you cut, plug the unit in, set some temperature on the controller, unplug the unit, wait a minute, then plug it back in, and see if the controller displays the same setting.

If it does not, then you're going to need to control the compressor directly, and figure out which of those three wires goes where.

fwiw, if I had to guess, the black wire is the Line (input) AC, and the red wire is a switched output that goes to the compressor. But if there's no internal fan, I'm not sure where the orange wire would go...

Cheers!

Hopefully it will go well. If the fridge has a "memory", then you can set the digital thermostat to its coldest setting and use the STC-1000 to turn the whole system on and off when required.

If you can find an actual model number, that might be helpful, if it proves necessary to get into the wiring. If this used the classic mechanical thermostat that would be much easier - there are numerous examples extant on HBT - but these digital controllers aren't quite so simple to bypass.

And "Westinghouse Virtuoso" doesn't lead to much info...

Cheers!

I will have to do some research with that information.
Thank you 🍺

Hi I agree.
Day_Tripper's idea of reconnecting the wires to see what happens if the fridge has memory should give me a direction to work on?
Hopping I might be able to connect the controller to the red, black and orange wires 😀

Back