Help! started building krausen then stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jah

Reaction score
I brewed on friday hit my OG pitched my (no starter) white labs London ale yeast and everything went as planned. Sunday it was bubbleing and building krausen as usual. Well I checked it on Monday and the bubbleing had stopped and the tiny bit of krausen had started dropping. I checked my gravity and was no where near the set FG so i fear I have stalled. Should I pitch more yeast? If so, more liquid of the same or a cheaper dry to re-activate?

With a name like Jah, couldn't you just command it to finish? :D

Give the carboy a bit of a gentle swirl to get some of the bottom yeast into suspension. Be sure not to splash at all. What's the temp of the brew?

71 degrees... I've swirled and no response. I think I will give it another day and if no response i will re-pitch. Should I re-pitch the same liquid or dry yeast though? I tried commanding but no reguard :mug:

71º is really high! Hope you like esters. What's your recipe, and what's the OG and SG that you're shooting for? It could actually be done and that's that.

EvilTOJ said:
71º is really high! Hope you like esters. What's your recipe, and what's the OG and SG that you're shooting for? It could actually be done and that's that.

He's in Ft Worth; I think 71F is about as low as one will natually see on an active primary in Texas inside the house, unless one is using a dedicated fridge or other guerilla cooling method. We don't have those (how you say?) basement things. :) So we think that 71F is a luxury, as good as it gets. Brewing time! Move fast before it's 100F outside again!

I've bought the controller (another package from northernbrewer!), but haven't found a free/cheeep fridge yet. Even with a wet tshirt jacket on my primary it's still 64F.

Rouse the yeast and give it a week. At that temperature it's not likely to stall. Patience is the key. If after a week you are at the same SG then think about repitching.

How about a foam box and adding ice packs in it? That's what I normally do in sunny singapore.

Back