Help! (SSBT Chronical)- I forgot the racking arm!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of American pale ale last night with my 7 gallon Ss brewtech Chronical. After filling the fermenter I realized I forgot to insert the internal rotatable racking arm. The rotatable bent metal tube to help transport the beer without sucking up the trub sediment.

Should I sanitize my arm and reach in there? Or just forget about it and get cloudy beer?

Kegging or bottling? If kegging id just drain it in the keg crash it overnight and the trub will be in the first glass or 2. Bottling id just leave it in the bucket a few hours in a cool place and bottle

Do a yeast dump at first .Just simply collect it in a glass until it's mostly beer.

While the racking arm is helpful, you don't really need it if the trub/yeast is below the level of the upper ball valve. Just make sure to dump enough trub/yeast before you drain your conical and you'll be fine. Better that, in my opinion, than putting your hand/arm in the wort.

While the racking arm is helpful, you don't really need it if the trub/yeast is below the level of the upper ball valve. Just make sure to dump enough trub/yeast before you drain your conical and you'll be fine. Better that, in my opinion, than putting your hand/arm in the wort.

Sound advice. I'm gonna do an extra cold crash and trub dump and hope for the best. Thanks!

I've sprayed my arm heavily with StarSan the two times it happened to me and didn't have any issues.

I have to say, I wouldn't be sticking my arm into my wort without boiling it first.... and I ain't boiling my arm.

Back