Help selecting a still

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabron99

"Torcedor"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow HBT'rs. Learned how to brew on HBT about 11 years ago. Over the course of time, I've ended up with my dream set-up. Truly a hobby gone bad! This is the first place I go for answers, so here goes: I've got about 7-800 bux to blow on a still. I need some input from YOU!! How big is too big. Gas vs electric, etc. I would like to be able to make "fuels" from corn whisky to gin. Any help or opinions welcome. Take it easy on me; I know I'm a fortunate one.

If you are confident you could build your own then i would suggest something like a Clawhammer still. Watch some of the build videos and see if it might be right for you. If not comfortable building one then they have an 8 gallon ready to go. You could use electric like suggested above. I believe these are right in your price range of 7-800 bucks.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/

http://www.moonshinedistiller.com/
Worth a look, the quality is first-rate and I've never had better customer service from ANYONE. It's not the only one I have, but it's my favorite. And I'd go electric, 4500 watts (13-gallon pot still) seems more controllable than 5000. They can tell you the reason(s) why, me?- I just prefer it.

Using an open flame is not very efficient; efficiency is about 45%.
Heating the wort with electricity (induction stove or heating elements) get an efficiency of more than 95%

Well I toss this out just for shits and giggles.
1 keg=35-45$ from local scrap yard
1 copper 2" tube=40-50$ local scrap yard
copper 2" ferrules amazon 23-25$ ea
5/8" ID soft copper tube 70$ Ferguson 50'
55 gal food grade drum 35$ Craigs list.
Blichmann Hellfire burner 150$ I can boil 20 gallons of h2o in less than 30 minutes.

I'm not going to argue or debate on others opinions but I'll tell you what I do and what I get.
I make 45 gallons of mash/wash at the time for 3-12.5 gallon stripping runs to get enough low wines for a proper spirit run.

On average I'll retrieve 60-70% of a spirit run to age a 5 gallon barrel and have some left to sip while the other ages.

My spirit runs are normally 13 gallons of low wines.

Everyone will have an opinion but it simply comes down to what you want to make, whiskey, brandies, rums are all best on potstills.
Vodka, gin and neutrals will all be best on a reflux colum. Then you'll have to research on what kind you'll want/need to accomplish your goal.

On another note, once you buy from a commercial dealer, your name, address and your personal information will have to be forfeited to the TTB upon request from them to the supplier. I personally would not want to looked at for buying a still that they pretty much know I'm not making essential oils with.

I'll end with this, if you have time and some minor skills...build your still.

I get alot of satisfaction knowing I built mine and it works flawlessly and it makes great likker.

I use home made 10 gallon equipment, 1 metr 1" copper colum and WI-Fi control panel.
2019 year plans is a 30 gallon system for beer and burbon

Back