Help Selecting a Fermenter: Delta FermTank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billygoat

Reaction score
I’ve been fermenting in glass carboys and just broke one, losing about 5 gallons of beer. I figured I would look into my options for a new one since I’m still bitter about the 5 gallons of imperial stout soaking into my baseboards, and realized a lot has changed since I started brewing. What would be some good options? So far I’m looking at the Anvil 7.5 gallon stainless, Sovereign 8.4 gallon stainless, Delta 8 gallon FermTank, as well as cheaper options like the big mouth bubbler. The Delta has good reviews. I’m not sure what to make of the conical bottom on the Anvil…does it actually do anything without a valve in the bottom? Is stainless even worth it? I do have to use a stiff brush inside my carboys pretty often even with PBW…

To give some context, I usually brew in 10 gallon batches, don’t have room for an indoor fermentation fridge, usually use a plastic bin of cold water to control temp in warmer months, only brew ales, and brew outside so I need to be able to move the fermenters easily. I use 2 per brew and still have a 6.5 gallon glass one left that I might or might not keep using. I might get a fermentation fridge in the future and keep it outside for the summer only (it snows here 4-5 months/year), but adding more junk to my yard is not a priority. My pantry is a perfect 55-60F right now.

I'll second @Jayjay1976 on the Fermonster. I have two 7-gallon Fermonsters: one with a spigot and one without. The spigot makes transferring to the keg a snap.

I like the 7 gallon size because it's plenty of fermentation headspace. I haven't used a blowoff tube since I started using them.

My own stoutpocalypse a few years ago sent me to urgent care, @Billygoat - sounds like yours spared your body but not your house. I've found stainless (Spike Flex+) works out well: facilitates closed transfer, easy to clean, and allows for spunding/carbonation in my future. However, especially without a fermentation chamber, temperature control (a big help in beer quality) could get quite spendy. Best of luck in your brewing journey.

The Delta looks like a really nice unit. I really like the drain valve for easy cleaning. I was going to get one, but it's a little tall for my mini fridge I use for fermentation. I have a SS brew bucket that fits well, but it's only 7 gallons. It also costs more than the Delta and does not have the bottom drain.

I put a vote in for a conical PET pressure system like a Fermzilla or All Rounder as a starting point. They're rated for 35psi and I'd guess (without research) they'd be the cheapest high function pressure vessel you could buy next to converting an old keg. No spigot but the Fermzilla I have is simple to run closed gravity transfers with a floating dip tube and easy to clean, no scrubbing as I have a bucket blaster cleaner to run pbw. The all rounder is a simpler system again. Worth looking up a review before you make a decision at least. The pressure rating opens up all sorts of benefits you may want in the future, along with being able to dump /isolate trub and yeast. I use a cooling coil and glycol chiller with a cheap controller but fermentation fridges are probably more common, and worth pursuing as arguable the easiest way to improve your beer the most.

Any stainless bucket with a sealing lid will work great. I used Chapman buckets ($100 each) for years. Only recently went on to a conical and I sometimes wonder if the buckets were slightly easier since they are more simple. Just wish they could hold pressure for cold crashes.

I have two of the 4-gallon Fermtanks (no drain valve) and they are fabulous. My only gripe — and it is substantial — is that the u-channel legs are extremely uncomfortable to grab and maneuver the tank with. It’s certainly a quality product.

I'm with @Jayjay1976 on this. I have a 3 & 7 gal fermonsters with the pressure lid hack Turning your Fermonster into a complete closed transfer system for cheap! and they are great. I don't have the spigot, but the next time I buy one, I'll get it cause I don't really do pressure transfers. I also have a SS brewing 7 gal with the conical without a bottom valve and this is also really nice. Don't really need the bottom drain because the pickup for the empty valve is above where the yeast/trub level is (usually). I also have a 7 gal frmentasaurus that I have used a couple of times. The yeast/trub jar is a pita to get off when it's full and if I want to do pressure transfers I can do them with the fermoster and the lid hack. For me the simplicity of the fermonster wins, and you can see the fermentation magic. I'd also consider fermenting in Cornies as an option :mug:

FWIW, I just ordered a Speidel 7.9 gallon fermenter. Morebeer had a deal going on, got it for $65 shipped. Figured by the time I buy a 7gal ported fermonster and a brew hauler for it, add in the cost of replacing the lid when it cracks, heck I'll spend a bit more and boom, Speidel. I'll post back with my impressions.

Delta fermtank. Ferment, pressure transfer, spigot for samples and transferring. Zero complaints. Does everything a similar size conical would do for a lot less money and way easier to move around. Rated for 4 PSI and I can confirm that it will hold at least that without issue. Also I have yeast collected on it even though they will tell you it may/may not work. I attached the video of me yeast dumping, hopefully it works. I'll probably never buy another unit

Attachments

• 6DE16816-596A-40A9-84B5-4880DDC68CA7.MOV
    22.5 MB
brewed three batches in my delta 7 gallon ferm tanks love them easy to move and clean
i also got the triclamp lid and cooling coils saves me from lugging them to the basement to ferment temp controll made easy

Latest posts

Back