help saving an "imperial" sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Maul

Reaction score
We brewed a 3 gallon batch sweet stout yesterday doing biab on the stove and I made a mistake and we wound up with an OG of 1.090 as opposed to 1.068. We used a vial of WLP005 but I assume this will only attenuate down and leave us with a super sweet beer. Should I fire up a 1L starter of another yeast that is meant for higher gravity beer and throw it in?

You could have topped it up with the right amount of boiled water, at the same temperature, so the sugars would dissolve and reach your desired OG, and finishing with more beer, there is an equation for the amount needed. I just read you shouldnt pitch a seconf after you have already pitched in a first, unless its a stuck fermentation.

I could have but that would have thrown things off in the other direction. It was a sweet stout so we had added lactose and some chocolate too. It's too late for that now. I am trying to find out what is best for this batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is enough yeast in there to propagate the cells needed but they need something to make the cell walls for propagating. That thing they need is oxygen. For most beers adding oxygen after fermentation has started is a bad idea but this one might benefit from it.

When the 005 had finished, the beer was at 1.044. I made a 1L starter with WLP007 and pitched it in after 36 hours on the stir plate. After 3 days it got down to 1.034 but there's a big ol cake on top so I'll wait till it sinks and get my FG.

It's been three weeks since I pitched the extra wlp007 and it's still floating. Should I just rack to the bottling bucket from under it?

Latest posts

Back