Help! Rubber stopper fell into the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog3025

Reaction score
I've brewed five or six batches but I figured this boo boo warranted this forum. I'm using a borrowed carboy and the rubber stopper I bought at the local liquor outlet's brew section seemed to fit just fine. But after I racked the beer in, and added some dry hops, I went to seat the stopper with the pressure lock and I pushed it right through down into the beer. So now I'm wondering if I can leave it in there for a week before I bottle the batch, or will that stopper ruin the taste? Anyone heard of this bonehead mistake before? Thanks!

Search around, you'll find a few threads like this. You're not the first. It should be fine if you sanitized it before putting it in. :)

Even if you didn't but it was basically clean, the alcohol and the hops should keep your brew safe. No worries.

Oh, but be careful when you're retrieving it later after you rack the beer out. Don't break your carboy or scratch the glass trying to get it out. I hear you can put a dish towel in part way, roll the stopper up onto the part of the towel inside, flip the carboy upside-down so the towel is around the stopper, then yank it out. It should pop out all together.

Yeah, it's happened to many of us. Just leave it in there and proceed as usual. Once you rack the beer you can get it out easily with the trick maddog described but rather than a towel you can use a disposable plastic bag from the grocer. Make sure the stopper is wet, push the plastic bag inside, turn over so stopper is against the bag and pull out. Works like a charm.

Thanks to everyone for responding! I'm relieved that I didn't mess up my batch of ale. I did sanitize the stopper so I'm not worried about contamination, I was just afraid the rubber stopper night make the batch taste like rubber. I was considering trying to fish it out with a coat hanger but I'm sure I would scratch the glass doing that. But if the stopper won't mess up the flavor, I'll just wait and use that slick towel trick after I've emptied it. Thanks again for all the prompt responses!!

In case anyone is still subscribed, I bottled that ale and got the plug out, no problem. I actually had a hops bag in there with some Cascade, and the cork actually rolled up on the bag and came out with some tugging. Thanks again!!

Back