Help...recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koerd85

Reaction score
How does one make a light colored beer? Ive used ideas like using only 1 light malt extract and then alot of corn sugar but that beer doesent really have a head and its still darker than budlight.

i wanted to make an Ale bexause i cant stand to wait another 4 weeks or so for lager so i wanted to make an ale.

i was thinking to make a light ale
ingredients:
coopers light malt (3.3lbs) or half of that
3 cups of corn sugar
20L caramel grain
maybe some adjunct dont know what tho
standard ale hops
standard ale yeast

what kind of Ales have you made?

You need extra light.You can also add half the extract last 10 min,which may help keep it light.Or you can mash pilsner,or do a minimash. The liquid can darken as it sits over time, dry malt extract may get you lighter but get extra light dry or pilsen. The pilsen liquid extract is pretty light i made an all extract blonde. Your crystal should get you more head you could use a little carapils or wheat malt.The amount of hops is what aids head also.Along with well rinsed glasses and good carbonation.
Another thing about ales is ferment it low temp with 05 or nottingham yeast it gets you a cleaner type ale.

I use extra light dry extract, wheat extract, crystal 10, and flaked corn in my cream ale. Comes out quite nice, straw/yellow color.

jonmohno said:
You need extra light.You can also add half the extract last 10 min,which may help keep it light.Or you can mash pilsner,or do a minimash. The liquid can darken as it sits over time, dry malt extract may get you lighter but get extra light dry or pilsen. The pilsen liquid extract is pretty light i made an all extract blonde. Your crystal should get you more head you could use a little carapils or wheat malt.The amount of hops is what aids head also.Along with well rinsed glasses and good carbonation.
Another thing about ales is ferment it low temp with 05 or nottingham yeast it gets you a cleaner type ale.

thanks i will try that

cream ale sounds good, and i here its the best type if ale to make "brew shop owners recommendation" Thah sounds luike
an idea!!

here is a base a i used back in the day when i was first starting out. my SWMBO wanted a blueberry beer, so I took guidance from a BrewersBest Kit and tweaked. Came out good except at that time i didn't really realize how to properly aff fruit to a secondary. The base tasted good. Can't speak to blueberry, since I don't care for fruit beers. Anyhow, here is the base for a light ale....

5 gallon batch
1 lb rice extract syrup
3 lbs 4 oz light LME
2.5 lbs light DME

OG approx 1.051

bferullo said:
here is a base a i used back in the day when i was first starting out. my SWMBO wanted a blueberry beer, so I took guidance from a BrewersBest Kit and tweaked. Came out good except at that time i didn't really realize how to properly aff fruit to a secondary. The base tasted good. Can't speak to blueberry, since I don't care for fruit beers. Anyhow, here is the base for a light ale....

5 gallon batch
1 lb rice extract syrup
3 lbs 4 oz light LME
2.5 lbs light DME

OG approx 1.051
nice!

Back