Help reading water report and understanding what a good baseline water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awtesta

Reaction score
I got a ward labs report for my water but frankly I don't know, nor can I seem to find, what a good baseline is for a water profile when it comes the the minerals. So I have 2 questions.

Question 1 - Should I even care what good baseline numbers are since I would have to add water adjustments (salts/minerals) to achieve a certain water profile anyway?

Question 2 - if the answer to #1 is yes, then are there any published baseline water profile numbers anywhere? I did some searches in this forum and the web and can't seem to find any.

Test Results below.....

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 314
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.52
Cations / Anions, me/L 4.7 / 4.7

ppm
Sodium, Na 40
Potassium, K 4
Calcium, Ca 38
Magnesium, Mg 11
Total Hardness, CaCO3 141
Nitrate, NO3-N 1.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 16
Chloride, Cl 75
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 88
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 72
Total Phosphorus, P 0.30
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

Been doing some more reading on the web and I guess there really is no "baseline" water profile so comparing mine to something else is a mute point. I'd have to adjust my water anyhow to match a specific profile based on the beer i'm trying to make.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

"Baseline" is a subjective term. Your water profile IS your baseline; where YOU start from.
So, for #1: Don't worry about the baseline. Your water profile is a pretty good starting point.
The sodium and chloride are a bit high. Is this water run through a softener first?

2) There are plenty of published baseline water profiles all over the place. World famous regions as well as an ongoing database where brewers worldwide can enter profiles from their locations.
Let me get to work on my laptop and see if I can send you some links.
There is one in How To Brew

Also check out any brewing water software like Bru'n Water (free) and any others.

thanks.

no need to dig up the other baselines from around the world. i know brun water, beer smith and other places have those. my original question about baseline was more generic and just about what are good levels for "generic" water, regardless of the style your looking to brew

The Brew Science forum is the place for water questions. There is a Primer there which may be of some help.

As a general rule I guess I'd say that any water with alkalinity of 50 or less and total hardness less than 75 should be easy to work with absent a huge sodium content.

Back