Help Quick with Step Infusion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
I'm planning on a batch this afternoon and I want to make sure I do this right. The recipe calls for a step infusion mash with a

"FIRST REST at 122F for 30 minutes. Add boiling water to bring the mash at 150F for 60 minutes. Mash-out at 170F and sparge."

How much water am I adding per stage? This is a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer, but do I use add water at each stage or boil the wort up to the next temp then add it back in?

I would recommend going and downloading a free trial of BeerSmith. This will allow you to calculate the strike temps in order to step infuse your mash. I think this trial lasts for like 2 weeks or so, but it is really quick and easy to use. Or.... maybe one of the guys in here with BS could run the numbers for you really quick. ;-)

Example of Beersmith double infusion for RIS recipe:

Add 3.02 gal at 135 to rest at 122 for 30 min
Add 3.02 gal at 203.4 to rest at 158 for 30min
add 2.59 gal at 194.4 to mash out

Go get beersmith..wonderful tool

Or if you don't want to get the software just yet, here is a handy web tool that will let you plug in numbers so you can figure out how much boiling water to add to raise the temps and if your MLT will be big enough.

It will help you out for today. I would suggest getting some software in the future. It really is a good investment. Helps to organize the brew process and takes good notes for the next time.

Thanks for the help guys. I actually bought beersmith a month ago and it worked perfectly for 2 recipes already. However, I am still new to AG and aren't sure of all the terminology fully yet so I didn't know that I could figure it out with BS. Thanks for the help everyone and yes BeerSmith is a GREAT program and a great small investment for any homebrewer I agree.

First, I'd bet there's a 99% probability you don't need to do the 122 rest. Second, when I do a step mash, I just stir in boiling water until I get to the temp I'm going for. I've never found a calculator that could accurately tell me how much water at what temp to use.

Just went onto Beersmith and figred it all out and clocked it into the recipe. Denny your way sounds like it would work just fine and it's probly what I would do, but I'm going to try it by the Beersmith way this time first and see how it works out.

So the brew day was a semi-sucess. I did the whole step infusion according to Beersmith, however I didn't account 'enough' for temperature change when it went into the Mash Tun. I would boil the water 10 degrees over to account for the change when in the mash tun but on my Saccrifician at 150, it really leveled out at 140 or so. I tried to bring it back up but it leveled around 140ish. The final addition for mash out at 170, it leveled at 155. Long story short I think it's this reason that the Gravity reading came out to 1.036. It looks good, smells good, and I learned what not to do for my next wheat beer(which should be shortly). Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it, and any other suggestions as to anything is welcome.

Gonna be a dry beer, let it ferment out but you will probably need to add something to add some mouth feel and sweetness.

If it's an American wheat it might not be too bad a little drier. The beersmith calculations usually don't bring the temp up all the way like they're supposed to. In fact, you might not even need a protein rest for a wheat. I never use one and have never had problems. One more thing is instead of adding that much volume of water for infusions which would lower your potential sparge water volume, you might try taking out some of the mash and heating it, then putting it back in. I think some here do that, but I have no experience, so maybe someone will chime in. I bet it will still be a good beer though.

Nick

I am tasting it for the first time tonight. It's only been in the bottle for 5 days, but I always like to taste the beers at different times along the aging process. Anyways, I added a bit too much coriander seed. It's VERY coriander. I don't mind it because I like the spice but others may not. Next time, half as much but I didn't have a way to calculate how much to put in -so I just used it by sight. Colour is cloudy whiteish yellow. Mouthfeel has half-carbonation (because it's not fully carbonated yet) and no head retention yet lol. Scent is definitely coriander with a hint of banana. Tastes good if you like coriander :ban:. As for posting pictures, it won't let me post pictures unless they are online. Is there a way to post pictures straight from the harddrive??

Back