help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker56

Reaction score
ok so before i get criticized and called an idiot(which apparently i am) just try to answer the question. I started my first cider about a week ago, buddy came over last night and while we were drinking my orange spice mead he somehow convinced me into getting a "taste tester" out of the carboy for us to try. Well even with just a week of fermentation it actually had a lot of alcohol flavor in it, so I decided to try something idiotic to stop fermentation..... i added a 1/4 tsp sodium metabisulfite and a packet of super kleer, now yes i know eventually the yeast will overcome the sulfite but is the super kleer gonna effect the yeast? and yes i already am about 99% sure im gonna have to dump this batch and start it over but maybe somebody can give me a little advice

Never used super kleer (I don't use finings), but offhand I'd say yes; it will likely have an effect on your yeast. This being said, you might still be able to save this batch. Take a SG reading & see what your current ABV is. If it's not too high, you might be able to rack & repitch fresh yeast.

I think you'd get the best results by making a yeast starter & acclimating it to the must prior to repitching. Just add small portions of the must to the starter over a few days to get it used to the ABV of the must you'll be pitching it into.

The higher the ABV, the harder it's going to be on the yeast; you might be able to use the same strain you started with, or you might think about going with a strain that has a higher alcohol tolerance. Or if the SG is close enough to your target FG, you might just rack it & let it age for a bit before drinking it. You might be surprised at what some time can do. Regards, GF.

Back