***help Please### Yeast!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMart104

Reaction score
OK so we tried proofing out yeast for 20 minutes by putting it in a sanitizes glass covered with tinfoil. Just checked on it and it does'nt smell like a doughy smell like the instructions say. What do i do are we screwed? was the water not warm enough when we put it in>|?
we are cooling the wart right now waht should we do?
thank you
kevin and James

OK so we tried proofing out yeast for 20 minutes by putting it in a sanitizes glass covered with tinfoil. Just checked on it and it does'nt smell like a doughy smell like the instructions say. What do i do are we screwed? was the water not warm enough when we put it in>|?
we are cooling the wart right now waht should we do?
thank you
kevin and James

Seriously...the yeast doesn't smell the way the directions said and you're panicking?

Nothing anyone here can tell you to do except pitch it, wait, and see. Not unless you know what the temperature of your water was, and not warm enough wouldn't be a problem really. The water would have to be too hot to cause a problem. Even then I don't think it would make the yeast smell different. I don't usually subject my yeast to the sniff test.

RELAX!

edit:informed via PM that the water was just above room temp...you guys are doing fine!

The water was about room temp when we proofed it. Is there something we should do anything right now. Put it in warm water. not add it and wait till tomorrow when i can get more yeast?

Yeasties are stronger than your think. As the ronco dude says "set it and forget it"

Technically rehydrating isn't necessary. The yeast will do its thing no matter what, rehydrating just helps it out. Pitch that yeast in, have a beer and relax. Your beer will turn out good, it almost always does. (like 99.99% of the time)

This is our second brew that we do now. The fist one we did the yeast smelled like dough. this one doesn't smell anything like it.

Everyone tries so hard to find an excuse to ruin their first (edit: apparently 2nd) batch...you didn't make a mistake. Do not wait till tomorrow, do not add more water, do not get out your stethoscope and play yeast doctor, do not pass go...just pitch that s***.

Everyone tries so hard to find an excuse to ruin their first (edit: apparently 2nd) batch...you didn't make a mistake. Do not wait till tomorrow, do not add more water, do not get out your stethoscope and play yeast doctor, do not pass go...just pitch that s***.

Looks like I have a new signature! :mug:

Ok thank you very very much for the quick response's. So we should just pitch it? it will not ruin the beer? Is this normal though? and last question should we add more yeast tomorrow?

What kind of yeast is it? Was the water distilled or sanitized by boiling?

I wouldn't worry about it. I use either Nottingham or SafAle US 05 in all of my beers. the package for the SafAle US 05 says you can pitch it right into the wort. The Nottingham says to rehydrate. I always pitch either one right into the wort and I see fermentation happening 6-8 hours and heavy kreusen in 12-18 hours. RDWHAHB!

Pitch it now, then forget about it for a few weeks. You are fine. Your yeast are fine. Your beer is fine. Everything is fine.

Don't add more yeast tomorrow. You are fine. Your yeast are fine. Your beer is fine. Everything is fine.

The end.

Ok thank you very very much for the quick response's. So we should just pitch it? it will not ruin the beer? Is this normal though? and last question should we add more yeast tomorrow?

Not only will it not ruin the beer, but in fact it is crucial for this to even become beer.

This will be my last post on this topic as you guys seem to need a second opinion and I think I've said all that I can say. The smell of the rehydrating yeast is not indicative of their viability. You have no reason to believe that there is anything wrong with this yeast. No need to pitch more.

I can see that you fellas might have some difficulty leaving this beer alone while it ferments. If you have a good hiding place for your fermenter I suggest you put it there now, then retrieve the flunitrazepam (roofie) that should have come with your kit.

When I brewed saturday I just took my yeast, ripped the package open, sprinkled it on my wort and put the lid on it. Sunday morning it was going like gangbusters.

I've never used the smack packs, only old-school dry yeast or White Labs vials. Never made a starter. Always gotten results. When the weather warms up a bit, I'll probably start making starters for my White Labs to check their viability. Until then, I'm just pitching like there's no tomorrow. :D

Thank you for everyone that had helpful answers. I do appreciate it. For the rest of you, there is no need for smart remarks. Remember i did post in the "beginners beer brewing forum". "the sky is falling" Give me a break buddy. Second time brewing here don't bust my balls. I'm not some little kid that's scared to make a mistake on something. Thought something wasn't right, so we asked. If you dont want to give any help thats fine. No one needs your two sense, and theirs no need to put that in your signiture. Thought this site was to help people out.

Thank you again to the peeple that help us out tonight. Happy brewing :mug:

We are just having a little fun to get you to relax. Don't get bent about a little razzing, it's all meant in fun. Since I'm old enough to be your mother, maybe you shouldn't be calling me buddy. ;)

If you don't need our two cents then why are you here asking questions? Almost every post in this thread was on topic (few exceptions that were friendly jokes) and helpful. We did our best to answer your question several times over, in both threads you started. Heck, we even reanswered the same question when you asked it a second time (5th post in this thread) and a third time (14th post). No one's busting your balls, or anything else for that matter, we're just trying to help.

As for my sig, I'll put whatever the hell I want in there, thankyouverymuch.

It's all in good fun, buddy. After the reassurance is given, many will poke fun and have fun. Don't let it bother you, we all had the same thing happen at one time or another right here where you're at. And we've all become better brewers because of it. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't worry about those that give less than helpful remarks...they deserve nothing more or less than to be ignored.

Happy Brewing!
:mug:

Thank you for everyone that had helpful answers. I do appreciate it. For the rest of you, there is no need for smart remarks. Remember i did post in the "beginners beer brewing forum". "the sky is falling" Give me a break buddy. Second time brewing here don't bust my balls. I'm not some little kid that's scared to make a mistake on something. Thought something wasn't right, so we asked. If you dont want to give any help thats fine. No one needs your two sense, and theirs no need to put that in your signiture. Thought this site was to help people out.

Thank you again to the peeple that help us out tonight. Happy brewing :mug:

There actually is a need for some well meaning jokes. Once you spend some time on this website (and I hope you will) you will notice a pattern of frequent new brewers with very serious concerns about very un-serious problems. There is nothing wrong with it, we are all susceptible to it, and the beginners brewing forum is the right place to make sure you didn't screw up, but just to keep ourselves sane we have some fun with it sometimes. Don't feel like people are making fun of you. I'm telling you, stick around and you'll see.

I did say thank you to the people who did help. the peanut gallery is who i was talking to. So what first or 14th post. I did come on here for help, think back to your first time when you brewed. You spend time on it and money and you just want it to come out right. For the people who helped and "razzed me" i'm sorry if i was overboard just a lil stressed about ruin the wort.

My comment about first/14th post wasn't trying to belittle you based on how many posts you've made. I was using those numbers to point out specific posts within this thread. Just a misunderstanding there, it looks like.

If you're going to hang out here you definitely need to learn that ribbing is well meant and that you should just shovel it back at anyone who pitches it to you. :D

...the peanut gallery is who i was talking to...

This whole place is pretty much a peanut gallery. :D

No worries. You're being welcomed into the brotherhood of brewing. Every one of these amiable windbags was a n00b at some point (many of them not very long ago). They all went through the same thing. Right or wrong...that's just kind of the way it is at this "pub".

Hang around. Pull up a stool, and soon enough you'll be brewing outstanding beers on a regular basis. :mug:

Back