Help Please - White Stuff In Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc23

Reaction score
I brewed the Northern Brewer three hearted ale (IPA) in October. Three weeks in primary and it's been hanging out in the secondary since then.

Maybe after three weeks in the secondary I noticed a white/yellow film beginning to develop at the top. It's still there, and I'm hesitant to keg it. I really don't want to dump it but I'd like to know if anyone's seen anything like this before. Pic links below:

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Oh no...that's one of the worst infections I've ever seen....

Looks fine man, just yeast/proteins IMO.

Nothing to worry about. More times that not when you transfer to secondary, you get yeast floaties that pop to the surface. They just kind of float around doing nothing. Just rack and proceed as normal.

Thanks everyone for the help - truly appreciate it.

Kegging will commence tomorrow morning with copius dry hopping!

I brewed that kit (extract) a while back. I still have a case of it in bottles. Every bottle has a little white ring on top, which turns to little white floaties in the glass. Never figured out exactly what happened, but I'm leaning towards it being krausen rings in the bottle.

(Pretty sure I used 1056, though, not 1275.)

Back