Help please quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Just mashing right now. Epic fail. I upgraded my HLT and boil kettle to keggles. Didn’t think about the MLT not being able to support the grain load. Dumped it all in annnnnddddd no recirc so pulled half the wet grain out and it’s in a 5g bucket and then the other half is mashing as normal. Big issue is what to do with the mash in the 5g bucket. Was going to mash after but not worried about conversion and I’m out of iodine to test. Well can’t find it. If I do a 60 min mash then a second 60min mash with the bucket mess will this probably convert. It’s just pale malt and crystal 40. Nothing special. My sparges are going to be short to. Damnit.

I understand there's some panic involved here but when you come back down you can explain how an "upgrade to keggles" ended up being too small for a grain bill.

Aaanyway...given water at the proper temperature a decent crush is surely going to fully convert in an hour.
That's pretty much unavoidable - many folks have found apparently full conversion in half that time...

Cheers! (and good luck with this batch!)

Yes, it'll convert. You are probably preforming an acid rest with half the mash right now. Finish your first mash and continue on with the second half.

No worries. This type of thing happens to everybody. I predict an amazing beer.

The last beer I royally screwed....well drank a little to much while making, was my best beer ever and I don’t remember how I made it. This one at least I’ll remember.

I understand there's some panic involved here but when you come back down you can explain how an "upgrade to keggles" ended up being too small for a grain bill.

Aaanyway...given water at the proper temperature a decent crush is surely going to fully convert in an hour.
That's pretty much unavoidable - many folks have found apparently full conversion in half that time...

Cheers! (and good luck with this batch!)

Didn’t upgrade the mash tun and it was to small for the grain bill. Mash was so thick I couldn’t recirc it and tun was to small to add more water. Upgrades boil kettle and HLT not the tun. Thought it would be big enough. Wow was I wrong.

Next time, do nothing, recirculation is not necessary imo anyways. Just insulate the mash with an old jacket or something if you want less temp drop. Hope you mashed the second half. Anyways you will make beer for sure, cheers.

The last beer I royally screwed....well drank a little to much while making, was my best beer ever and I don’t remember how I made it. This one at least I’ll remember.

Been there! I once fell asleep while chilling my wort...Woke up two hours later...wort chiller was leaking tap water into the wort the entire time...wort was down to less than 60 degrees...you could see layers, and the top was straight water for like 3+ inches. This wasnt a cheap recipe so I was livid...tempted to just throw the whole thing out the window. I skimmed the layer of unsanitized water off the wort and racked into the fermenter. Ended up with an amazing robust porter that I put on cold brew coffee and coconut that is still one of my favorite beers I've made.

Well hit my OG dead on so we will see how it taste. Hopefully no off flavors. Was a late one today wow.

Back