Help pick out parts for a 10g round MLT.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Ok I'm about to buy the stuff for a 10g round MLT. I was thinking of going DIY but after helping my BIL with his 5 gal and having a hard time finding the parts and tracking down leaks I think I've talked myself into just spending the $$$ on a Zymico system that is relatively plug n' play. I'm pretty handy but with an 18 month old time can be at a premium and d!cking around with something like this would just take away brew time. Also I'd like to get this right the first time instead of re-buying stuff.

So here's what I'm thinking of, let me know if you guys prefer other stuff:

10 Gallon Round Rubbermaid Cooler $40

Bazooka T $22

Bazooka T :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Kewler Kit Adapter $5.50

KEWLER KITZ Adapter Fittings :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

KEWLER KITZ Basic + Conversion- Brass with 1/2" Barb $32 One thing here is whether stainless steel is worth paying another $12 or so??

KEWLER KITZ Basic + Conversion- Brass with 1/2" Barb :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I was also thinking of adding a thermometer to the cooler, do you guys think its a good idea? I could maybe see where it could interfere with stirring a bit but it would also seem super cool to monitor the temp without having to take the top off.

KEWLER THERMOTHINGY $13

KEWLER THERMOTHINGY :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I don't know which thermometer to get with it though, I'd definitely like a quality one that has good readings. The Brewmometer looks good and I like that its adjustable however I don't know which one to get that would fit the thermothingy.

So to sum it up here's some of my questions:

-Bazooka T? I've read and it sounds like for batch sparging it may be the easiest.

-Is it worth extra to pay for SS ball valve over brass?

-Add a thermometer or leave it out.

-If I should add a thermometer which should I get.

Did a bit more searching and already found one person that drilled a 10 gallon cooler and had problems with leaks. Seems like something Zymico should cover if installed properly.

I purchased the thermothingy to go through the cooler and bought a digital thermometer from wal mart, it is really worth it to me not having to screw off the lid to check temps, it is a matter of personal preference, and I used the directons from the diy by Flyguy and have had 0 problems with leaks, good luck on your build:mug:

Back