Help on my Coopers Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinreaper

Reaction score
Hey gang.

Last monday,i brewed a Coopers Irish stout following the instructions. Made it with 500g of light DME and 300g of dextrose. Pitched some WLP005 and put it in my new fermentation chamber at 75F. Everything going well until a couple of days later. Forgot to take OG so i can't know if it's really done. Checked for FG and it's stuck at 1.020. Did anybody do this brew following the instructions to the letter. Maybe i can get an OG from someone so i can be sure that i don't have to repitched at this point.

Thanks for any help

It won't be done in a couple of days. Initial fermentation may be over ( the vigorous part at the beginning). It'll slow down for the long haul down to FG. Give it a couple weeks. Full fermentation will take more than a couple days. You can look on the cooper's web site for the #'s;http://www.coopers.com.au/

Since it is a kit and you followed the directions, the OG should be pretty close to what the kit says it should be. If you think it's done, take a gravity for a couple of days, if it doesn't change, then it's done. However, even if it's done, you should let it sit for about 3 weeks before bottling.

The instructions in the top of the cooper's cans are pretty generic. They don't give OG/FG in them. But the web site has a page with that info before(in the can) & after (after top off in the fermenter).

Thanks for the help guys. I've been looking st the Coopers site but having a hard time finding the OG for the Irish Stout kit. Where to look?

I forget off hand,but there are info pages in the recipe section somewhere. *Ok,I finally found it. When you get signed in,go to the bottom of the page where it has columns of choices in the black area. Look under brewer's guild for "brewing products". Then click on "brew cans". It seems they don't give finished #'s anymore. But they do have #'s at in can concentrated levels.
AS an example,the OS lager is listed as;weight-1.7kg,color-90EBC,bitternes-390IBU. A little math that takes total brew volume into consideration will give finished #'s. Cooper's usual total volume is 23L,or 6.072 gallons.

A wort made with extract is also less fermentable than a wort made with grain. 1.020 is very often quoted as the "curse of extract beers" because of that. Listed AA numbers range for WLP005 from 67-74%, so it is not a very high attenuation strain.

Take another gravity reading in a few days, but I'm betting dollar to doughnuts this beer is pretty much done.

Idk,I've never had one stick,or finish that high with extracts. I get between 1.009-1.012 FG. Down from 1.038-1.050 OG. But some do seem to experience this. Swirl the fermenter without agitating it,& it may start again & finish up.

Ok,after 12 days i kegged at 1.014. So leaving it a little longer helped. The sample is tasting great so far.

Back