Help on How to make the perfect Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephN

Reaction score
I've tried two times to brew a solid hefe. Now what I'm going for should more than likely be attained through a certain yeast and proper fermentation. I'm looking for a seriously banana flavored Hefeweizen. I don't care for a balance of clove and banana, I'd like clove but much heavier on the banana.

The only yeast I have used has been Wyeast 3068.
The first batch was 50/50 wheat and Pilsner and fermented at Jamil's suggested 62F.
The second batch was 70/30 wheat and Pilsner and fermented at 64F for 3 days and then let it naturally rise to 72F for the remainder of its full fermentation.

I've heard that there is some yeast that if fermented high, 72F from the start, that it can give me the rush creamy banana character that I'm looking for even with my 70/30 wheat/Pilsner recipe.

What say you

Are you looking to make a "perfect hefe" or a hefe with in-your-face banana? I'm not sure they're the same thing.;)

I use WLP300 for my hefe's and I like to underpitch slightly to encourage the banana ester production. What pitch rates are you using? I use 1 vial for 5Gals or sometimes a 1.5L starter at most.

What sort of mash schedule are you following?

Otherwise, your recipe and fermentation temps (esp the 2nd batch) look fine.

Well perfect for my taste, not for competitions.
I have always made a starter, 1.5-2L. I did notice that it's suggested to under pitch, only after I dropped in twice the yeast that I should. I normally brew 6 gallon batches.

I mashed both batches at 152F with single infusion.

You have the right yeast, but you are fermenting way too cool. The one time i used that yeast I fermented at 68 and got what I would consider a nice balance between banana and clove. I would ferment at at least 70 if not a little warmer for mostly banana.

I also made a hefe using WB 06 before I had temp control and ended up with banana, but I have no what temp I fermenter at. I would guess pretty warm because it was in June just in a bucket in my unfinished basement.

I guess what I am saying is the yeast may not matter much as long as it is a hefe strain, just ferment warm. If you have some 3068 saved, I would use that. If not, I would take the easy route and just get a packet of WB 06.

Stick with the 70/30 wheat/pils balance. I would do a protein rest in the high 120's for 20/30 minutes, underpitch slightly (I just use 1 smack pack of 3068 for batches smaller than 6.5 gallons, though I'm debating making a small vitality starter for my next one), and ferment between 68 and 72. The one I'm drinking right now is a banana bomb and it tastes fantastic.

I'm with this OP. I recently got a good one with about 70/30 Wheat/Pils, an underpitched leftover slurry of WLP300, and fermented at 70F for a week. It's amazingly full of banana. I didn't do a special rest, just 60' at 150F.

What are the thoughts on a White Labs hefe yeast? I'm kind of starting to be more of a white labs guy, but started with wyeast. Honestly it might just be that my understand of yeast and how to control their actions through temp that is really making the difference in my final product and not the brand of yeast. White labs just seems to have a larger catalog of yeast.

Back