Help on how to calculate using fruit juice as priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyv

Reaction score
Hey every one. I’ll be brewing my first attempt of a 5 gallon batch of a clone of Belching Beavers Tooth and Tail double dry hopped hazy ipa... This beer has a great pineapple/ fruit juice scent and flavor that I would like to incorporate into my beer. I am using Citra, Idaho 7, Mosaic, Gelena, and Jarrylo hops to accomplish this highly fruit forward brew. What I want to do is use fresh (boiled/cooled/=sanitized) pineapple juice as my priming sugar for bottling however, I have no idea how much to use for a 5 gallon batch. If you all could help me calculate this that would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Figure out the sugar content of the juice (not sure if a hydrometer will do the trick in pineapple juice), then figure out how many gravity points you need to prime the beer (i.e. 5 oz dextrose is something like 14 gravity points in a gallon, so a little less than a .03 gravity bump in a 5 gallon beer) and add that much juice. My guess is it'll fall somewhere between a pint and a quart of juice.

Look at the serving size and the sugar per serving/ounce on the nutrition information to figure out sugar content. Then it becomes a math problem once you know how much sugar you need to prime.

1. Determine the residual carbonation in your beer based on temperature. Use a chart.
2. Calculate the number of points you need to increase the gravity to reach your target volumes. Each point is 0.51 volumes.
3. Measure the s.g. of the juice you'll use for priming, after boiling. Yes a hydrometer works.
4. Calculate how much juice to add. You can use a blending calculator or use basic algebra (you need to account for the volume of the juice in the dilution)
Here's a calculator
http://fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html
It's the fermentable sugar that matters, so put zero for your beer (solution 1) and the gravity points for the juice (solution 2).

Look at the serving size and the sugar per serving/ounce on the nutrition information to figure out sugar content.
The label has a wide margin or error, up to 20%. Boiling will also change the gravity, increasing the potential error.

My reading of "fresh" was that he's juicing the pineapple himself, making it pretty much impossible to get the relevant information from a label anyway.

My reading of "fresh" was that he's juicing the pineapple himself, making it pretty much impossible to get the relevant information from a label anyway.

Yes I am going to juice the pineapple myself.

Hey Dannyv. Bottling in about four days using pineapple juice as priming sugar.
How much juice did you end up using in your 5 gallon batch, and how did it turn out? Are there any adjustments you would have made?
Cheers!

Back