Help on Finding a 10 Gallon Cooler for AGB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mer924

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need a little help..Does anyone know where I can buy a 10 Gallon rubbermaid round cooler? I cannot seem to find one on the internet or where I live in Pittsburgh. I must have went too and called a dozen places and most only have the 5 gallon.Its like I am trying to find Hoffa! I am starting to build my 1st rig, I got most of what I need but the cooler has eluded me! (BTW thanks to all for your advice, this forum is by far the best of any forum!)

Thanks!!

I bought a 10 gallon Igloo Ice Cube from Target via Amazon.
It was about $30, shipped.

It actually didn't have a drain in the bottom, but it had a thinned area where one would go. I drilled a hole (7/8" I think) and off I went.

I checked out the ACE website..They were the best at just under 50 dollars..but they ony had 1 in stock! Something is trying to keep me from making the AGB rig!! Now I am going to browse the section on some Sparge set ups for this cooler! Any idea's?

the 10 gallon round coolers are very expensive... I only used one because I figured the round coolers gave me more leeway with grainbed depth from 5 to 10 gallons. Having a smaller footprint would help ensure I had a good grainbed pretty much no matter what I decided to brew....

That being said...... you coupld probably build 2 or 3 square/rectangle coolers with either CPVC manifolds for fly sparging or stainless mesh for batch sparging for the price of a round cooler and a good false bottom........

for normal 5 gallon batches the igloo icecube I think its the 30 or 32 quart is perfectly square and would be EASY to make a manifold for..... the larger icecubes I believe all have a wheelwell in the bottom that I would think would mess with operation.... but there are a ton of other flat bottom rectangular coolers you could use for bigger batches.....

I used the 48qt icecube for my HLT.... I like the way the valve is angled I just bent a peice of copper pipe to form a pickup tube on the inside..

all my stuff is here
HomeBrewing pictures by michael90t - Photobucket

and here
june0707brew pictures by michael90t - Photobucket

I'll echo the home depot posts. I watched craigslist for a while and the sales and never found one for as good a deal as the orange Home Depot stamped model. It's worked great, and I wanted the flexibility of a cylinder so I could change the volume of the brew and not worry about grain bed depth.

+1 on Home Depot. They are located in the garden center - I found them on a shelf near the big flower pots. I was informed by a HD employee that they are a seasonal item (given their location, it may be true), but I haven't looked for them before now. $37.48 (pre-tax) for me.

Latest posts

Back