Help on 2.5 gallon batches....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
I have recipes for 5 gallon batches, but I don't know how they will turn out. So my solution is to make 2.5 gallon batches to conserve materials.... but to do this right, will I just have to cut all the ingredients in half? Or is there going to be some problem with the colors/bitterness/etc.?

I often have to cut 5 gallon recipes down to 3.5 or 2.5 due to my small kettle and desire to do BIAB. I use Beersmith software which has a tool for scaling recipes up or down. Simply enter the 5 gallon recipe in Beersmith than use the scaling tool to change your finished volume. It will scale the ingredients for you.

You could just cut your grain bill in half, as the easiest solution. But, I would suggest using a software tool like Beersmith to calculate the IBU's of your hop schedule. Hop utilization may not be as clean cut as "reducing by half" depending on the recipes.

Back