Help, noobie needs yeast advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
A friend and I recently purchased a brewing kit and the guy at the store neglected to include that the yeast needed to be picked up seperately.....we thought that buying an ingredient kit we would have ALL the ingredients.

Unfortunately, we didn't realize this until after we started the boiling wort. Now we are wondeing if things will turn out okay if we run down in the morning, pick up the yeast and pitch it then.

Can we just seal up the wort and then add the yeast 12 hours later? Or should we just scrap this batch and chalk it up as a learning experience?

It is worth trying. The longer the wort goes without the yeast setting up shop, the more likely it is that some nasties will move in. I say go for it though and see what happens. No sense dumping it and wasting all of your hard work up till now. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to take stock next time to insure that you have everything that you need. Good luck! Let us know how you make out with this batch.

John

No, I wouldn't say dumbasses. You would be dumbasses if you did it again. Which I suspect won't be the case. None of us here came out of the womb knowing how to brew. Although some will attempt to make that claim. :D

Just get that yeast in there ASAP, and I'll bet you guys will be fine.

John

As long as you were as sanitized as possible and sealed it without too much exposure, you should be good. Just make sure the temp is between 70-75 degs so the yeast will start working ASAP.

Don't you just love all this mess?

Would it be reccommended to rehydrate the yeast at a higher temp (90-100 degrees), then bring it down to the same temp as the wart prior to pitching so that the yeast is ready to go when it hits the wort, or would you just get a quality dry yeast and pitch immediately?

Or.... would liquid yeast be a better choice at this point?

Thanks.

yeah you should be ok. Ya might want to get a couple packets of dry yeast like safefall or notingham(sp?) just to get the fermenting going extra fast once ya do get that yeast in there

You didn't say what type of beer, but since you are getting off to a late start with the yeast, don't get a liquid yeast. Go for Safale US-56 aka US-05, or Nottingham. I have not used US-56, but many say is gets going in a hurry, which is what you want. My last batch used Nottingham, and it got going quickly at 62*F. Two packets will definately get the ferment on in a hurry. Keep us posted.

Rottnme said:
Would it be reccommended to rehydrate the yeast at a higher temp (90-100 degrees), then bring it down to the same temp as the wart prior to pitching so that the yeast is ready to go when it hits the wort, or would you just get a quality dry yeast and pitch immediately?

Or.... would liquid yeast be a better choice at this point?

Thanks.

I say at this point forget about using liquid yeast. The manufacturer claims that the liquid yeast is "pitchable", but you really would be underpitching if you didn't make a starter with the liquid yeast. You don't have time for that.

There is an ongoing debate about whether to rehydrate or just sprinkle the dry yeast right on top of the wort. I was using dry yeast when I first started and did it both ways without ANY noticeable differences. Just pitch it dry.

I am in agreement with Pumbaa. Get two packets of dry yeast, put the fermenter in an area that is clean and out of the way of any drafts in the house, and sprinkle both packets on top. Then close the cover, install the airlock (careful not to push the airlock grommet into the bucket), put it some place cool (65˚F) and dark and let the yeast go to town! No need to stir the yeast into the wort.

John

And the one little tip I have- buy about 4 or 5 extra packages and keep them in the fridge. Just in case for the next time! Sometimes your yeast will poop out, or never take off, and it's easy to just repitch if you have some in the fridge. Of, if you're like me, you order everything online and forget to order yeast!

Lorena

Oh and find yourself a new brew store. Any place that'll sell a beer kit without including at least a dry yeast packet is just not worth revisiting IMHO. I understand that some people like to experiment with different yeast, but newbies never do that. They buy a beer ingredient kit expecting everything to be there, and righfully so.:mad:

Yes, it's ok. One package is usually enough, but at this point you need it to take off ASAP. Two packages will get it going faster for you. It's almost impossible for a homebrewer to overpitch.

Lorena

Latest posts

Back