Help no grain mill and have to brew today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggben

Reaction score
My 2row is all crushed but my specialty grains are not. And I can't get a mill but if I don't brew my batches today I won't be able to for a couple months any suggestions?

My 2row is all crushed but my specialty grains are not. And I can't get a mill but if I don't brew my batches today I won't be able to for a couple months any suggestions?

How many pounds? I've seen stories of people putting grains in zip lock bags and smashing them with books or taking a rolling pin to the bag. It's a lot of work and can be messy, but it can be done.

Grab a rolling pin, put the specialty malts in a huge plastic bag (trashcan liner will work in a pinch if you don't have any ziploc bags) and get crushin'!

Laugh all you want, but a paper shredder worked great for me once.

Rolling pin is a huge amount of work, but will get the job done.

Maybe try a coffee bean grinder? Maybe you or a neighbor has one. I'd even give a blender or food processor a try before I'd go the rolling pin route again.

Place grains in bag. Place bag under car tire. Drive/Reverse to desired consistency.

Double bag in heavy zip locks. sandwich in some old towels. Drive your car over it once and check, drive over once more if necessary.

its only 2 pounds maybe 3 i have a coffee grinder but would that work? also have a marble rolling pin.
should i mash for 2 hours then to make sure that i have conversion?

its only 2 pounds maybe 3 i have a coffee grinder but would that work? also have a marble rolling pin.
should i mash for 2 hours then to make sure that i have conversion?

Only 2 or 3 pounds? Are you only do a 1-gallon batch? Or are you doing extract with steeped grains or partial mash?

Ok so i have 4 pounds of specialty grains and 12 pounds 2 row. the 2 row as i stated earlier is allready crushed. I was wondering if i did it in the food processor or coffee grinder would it be allright given the fact that the 2 row is 75% of the mash tun.

the 2 row as i stated earlier is allready crushed.
Ooops... missed that. Sorry!

I was wondering if i did it in the food processor or coffee grinder would it be allright given the fact that the 2 row is 75% of the mash tun.

Yeah, go for it! I'd choose the food processor over the coffee grinder. You've got plenty of two-row to keep you from having sparge problems.

My first batch I pulsed in the food processor and it seemed to turn out okay, not sure if it would have turned out better properly milled or not (probably). I would just recommend against completely pulverizing the grains if you do go with a food processor.

A hand-cranked pasta maker will work. I did that to split some grains for bread once when I was desperate and utterly mad.

well i went ahead and used a coffee grinder because the food processor was not doing anything. actually got a little more efficiency than i accounted for. not much though was shooting for 1.066 and got 1.069 for a pre wort boil. all in all it turned out fine so thanks for the help.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back