Help new kegging issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbfl81

Reaction score
just set up my new keg system from northern brewer and can hear a gas leak from the grey disconnect tap. It’s coming from where I put an arrow on the pic. If I put my finger over it I hear a squeal noise.

Should I call northern brewer or is there something I can do. It only appears to hiss when I hit around 30psi

Attachments

• 1DEA824A-921D-46FA-B920-6603070AAA43.jpeg
    1DEA824A-921D-46FA-B920-6603070AAA43.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
I sanitized them but I didn’t unscrew an take them apart, mainly because I didn’t know that you could

I force carbonated the keg to 30psi, its been 24 hours. I plan on leaving it at 30psi for another 24hours.

Do i need to burp the keg before i bring the pressure down to serving pressure?
If i do this can anyone explain why? thanks

If the keg is chilled already, 48 hours at 30 psi may be 24 hours too many.
You release the head pressure to avoid launching beer out of the faucet...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply and help day trippr

My reason for force carbing it for 48 hours from Wednesday night was i need it ready preferably Saturday night. I intended to force carb at 30psi and 40 degrees, and then drop down to 12psi on Friday night.

this is my first keg so any help or understanding is appreciated

Hopefully someone who routinely does the "burst carbing" thing (I don't) will chime in, but 48 hours at 40°F and 30 psi seems too long from my recollections of attempts that went a bit awry and needed to be de-carbed down to snuff...

Cheers!

Hopefully someone who routinely does the "burst carbing" thing (I don't) will chime in, but 48 hours at 40°F and 30 psi seems too long from my recollections of attempts that went a bit awry and needed to be de-carbed down to snuff...

Cheers!
Yeah, 48 hrs for beer that starts chilled is probably too much. I go 36 hrs at 30 psi when I start chilled.

Brew on :mug:

I always do burst carbonation. I usually stick to the numbers that brulosophy posted. I haven't ran into over carbing with these numbers. I think 48 hours at 30 is too long. Id probably go 30 hours myself and snag a sample and see how it goes.
Screenshot_20180621-210456_Chrome.jpeg

Did you cold crash prior to kegging? Big difference. Gassing warm beer takes a lot of CO2 and a lot of time. I always keg my beer at serving temp, carb it at 20 psi for 3 days, then reduce to serving psi (7-10) and burp the keg.

Did you cold crash prior to kegging? Big difference. Gassing warm beer takes a lot of CO2 and a lot of time. I always keg my beer at serving temp, carb it at 20 psi for 3 days, then reduce to serving psi (7-10) and burp the keg.
Not sure if you mean me or the OP. I cold crash mine to another 35*F before kegging

Back