Help needed with partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYrunner

Reaction score
Up to this point I have only brewed extract batches with steeping grains. I just noticed this partial mash system on Midwest Supplies and was considering trying a partial mash for my next brew. What additional steps are there for a partial mash? I currently use a 22 quart brew pot with a propane burner for my extract brewing. Would this partial mash system be a good investment?

not in my opinion. i'd get a 5 gallon paint strainer and mash in your brew pot. there's a good thread by deathbrewer stickied in the beginners brewing section of the forum, if you're not familiar with the method.
you can hold temps great in an oven preheated to 150F, if your pot will fit in there. if not a cheap styrofoam cooler or wrap the pot in a sleeping bag.

total outlay...$2.50. results will be excellent. you'll learn a lot about mashing and will be ready to move on to a bigger system if you decide to go all grain one day. i just don't think it's worth the $$ to buy the system you're looking at.

the bonus...you'll be able to mash a lot more grain in your pot than that cooler.

Wouldn't I need two 5 gallon pots in order to do that? I only have one. If the choice was to buy another 5 gallon pot or that partial mash system, which would you pick?

Wouldn't I need two 5 gallon pots in order to do that? I only have one. If the choice was to buy another 5 gallon pot or that partial mash system, which would you pick?

I'd buy neither. I'd do the partial mash in the pot I had, and save the money for a bigger pot down the road.

I built a 2 gal MLT with a $7 igloo cooler from walmart and the design from 10 gal MLt thread in the DIY section. Used a 1 in nipple instead fo the 1 1/2 called for. The hardware will be going into a bigger cooler MLT as soon as I get a bigger brew kettle. The 2 gal cooler will be returned to stock condition and be used while fishing .... etc.

Why this partial mash system is not worth it:

1) You could make the exact same thing for at least half the price.

2) It's very small, and won't be big enough if you ever decide to go AG.

3) DeathBrewer's system is cheaper and way easier. And you don't need another 5 gallon pot - when I did PM, I mashed in a 3.5 gallon stock pot I had sitting around.

4) If you don't have another pot, all you need to do is buy a cheap cooler (~$10). You can then use a paint strainer bag to mash in the cooler (and don't have to modify that cooler in any way to do so)!

5) Fancy systems don't, generally, make beer that tastes any better than simple systems used well. Much better, IMO, to start small and simple, really learn the process, then move up from there. It'll pay dividends in the long run.

Thanks for the great info guys. I think that I will try deathbrewer's method with a 3 gallon stockpot that I just found in the kitchen along with my 5 gallon brew pot. So, I should mash in the smaller pot and sparge in the larger pot....right?

Thanks for the great info guys. I think that I will try deathbrewer's method with a 3 gallon stockpot that I just found in the kitchen along with my 5 gallon brew pot. So, I should mash in the smaller pot and sparge in the larger pot....right?

Yep, that's the way to go. A 3 gallon pot should be fine for mashing, say, 5 lbs of grain. Maybe try wrapping it with a towel while it's mashing to hold temps, but otherwise you're golden.

Good luck!

lots of ways to finagle this with multiple pots, but i agree with palefire, this would be easiest. you can sparge with more water in your 5 gallon pot (than the ratio that is described in deathbrewer's thread), which might bump up your efficiency a bit. not critical, but something to play with. have fun!

Back