Help needed fermenting!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstiglich

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am completely worried. I did my first batch two weeks ago, and after one week I siphoned the content of the first batch from it fermenter to a secondary fermenter without reading its gravity. After I throw all the yeast from the first fermenter, I read the gravity and found it was 1.025. I tried to save this repitching yeast, but after 3 days of rep itching nothing happens, and today I measure its gravity and it is still 1.025. (OG 1.043 - IPA)

I did a second batch of an American Premium lager, and after 10 days, it is still on 1.025. Originally it was 1.048, and I layered it at 53ºF ~ 59ºF.

I did a third batch, a Samuel Adams Boston Clone, and after 5 days, it is also at 1.026. It is on 66ºF~69ºF.

My main concern is that all the batch show no activity at all, and I think that in one week those gravities will be the same.

What should I be doing bad? 3 different batches, all with the same gravity 1.026!!

I have been doing starters typically 1liter with 150gr of DME and letting in a stir plate at least for 12 hours. It is suppose to growth enough yeast for the batches.

Additionally, I did not aerate the first two batches, but the last one was very aerated, and it is also in the same 1.026!!

All batches uses different yeast, I am using Nothingham, Saflager US-05 and Mauribrew Lager.

Do I have to wait? If waiting and nothing happens? What is my next step? How can I ensure my next yeast pitching will work??

Regards,
Kenneth

All grain or extract. We need to know more about your brewing process to actuall be able to give some more helpful insight. But I agree with above and let your primary fermentation finish (buy checking the SG for consecutive readings before transferring the batch to another vessel.) I do not transfer at all unless aging more than 2 months.

Please tell us of your brewday process, and recipes with temps, times and what not.

Hi Folks, thanks for all your replies.
I will detail my process. First of all, the transfer from the primary fermenter on one week was my first and biggest mistake, but I am new on this, and I believe that after a week it should be done. I did it once, and now I am waiting for another Ale to use its cake to finish fermenting my first batch.

My process.
I am using Reverse Osmosis water and adjusting it with salts according with the EZ Water calculator spreadsheet.

All my receipts are all grain, and I am using Pilsen and Pale Malts, with some caramels malts depending on the recipe. I am using different hops, and all my batches are using whir floc 15 minutes before end of boiling.
I am cooking everything on a Braumeister 20L, and all my batches are 20L.
I am sparking water over the grains and finally I get good results with efficiencies between 70% or 80%. 20 minutes before end of boiling I put the chiller to let it disinfect, and as soon as the boiling finish, I run cold water through the chiller to cooler it, and it takes 25 or 30 minutes to get into 68ºF.
At that temp, I transfer the wort into a water plastic container, that work as my fermenter, and oxygen it moving it hard for a couple of minutes. At the end I close the top with an airlock, and depending on the recipe, I left ALEs standing at the room, that is on a typical temperature of 66ºF~69ºF. and my lagers are kept in a freezer with Ranco controller in a range of 53ºF~59ºF.

I am using a refractrometer to measure the gravity, and I already test it with RO water and it is adjusted in 1.000.

I am worried because I do not see any progress in any of my batches right now, and I have read that many folks finish their ALEs in one week!
What should be my problem? Do I need just to wait? For how long? How many times or how often do I have to be reading my gravity on each beer and how do I know if it is working or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Regards,
Kenneth

You need to correct the final gravity readings when using a refractometer. Your final gravity readings actually are going to be ok, after you correct them.

You need to correct the final gravity readings when using a refractometer. Your final gravity readings actually are going to be ok, after you correct them.

I just recalibrate my refractometer, and it was fine, aligned at 1.000 with RO water and still 1.025 with my beer.

According with the reading I did form your links, I should believe that refractometers should be failed? If I bought a Hydrometer, it will give me a real gravity?

I do not like having a refractometer that tell me that my gravity is 1.025 and probably it is 1.013?

Regards,
Kenneth

I just recalibrate my refractometer, and it was fine, aligned at 1.000 with RO water and still 1.025 with my beer.

According with the reading I did form your links, I should believe that refractometers should be failed? If I bought a Hydrometer, it will give me a real gravity?

I do not like having a refractometer that tell me that my gravity is 1.025 and probably it is 1.013?

Regards,
Kenneth

Your refractometer is fine. All of them need a correction for final gravity. They are best used for OG, but with the correction applied they are ok. I think MoreBeer also has a spreadsheet that will correct the FG for you. It depends on how accurate you need to be. I like using a refractometer as it only takes a few drops to check. A hydrometer will be more accurate for FG, but you need to use more of your fermented wort to check it.

I should also mention that there are lots of discussions about this on Homebrew talk. If you do a search you will find lots of good info.

Thanks....I read a lot of brewing, and I just found that refractometers must be used until beer starts fermenting!

So No body uses them for reading after it starts fermenting due to alcohol right?

I will buy a hydrometer to read its final gravity. If I use the calculators, they needs the Brix grades, how can I calculate Brix?

Regards,
Kenneth

Thanks....I read a lot of brewing, and I just found that refractometers must be used until beer starts fermenting!

So No body uses them for reading after it starts fermenting due to alcohol right?

I will buy a hydrometer to read its final gravity. If I use the calculators, they needs the Brix grades, how can I calculate Brix?

Regards,
Kenneth

I use my refractometer for final gravity. I just use the spreadsheet to correct it. I was under the assumption most refractometers had either just the Brix scale, or both Brix and specific gravity scales on them. Mine has both. If your's only has SG, then there are conversion tools online for you.

I use my refractometer for final gravity. I just use the spreadsheet to correct it. I was under the assumption most refractometers had either just the Brix scale, or both Brix and specific gravity scales on them. Mine has both. If your's only has SG, then there are conversion tools online for you.

Its Great! I use the calculator you recommend me and now I have several batches fermented! I will follow the recipes and hopefully will be drinking them in one week!

Thanks a lot

Back