Help needed. Apple Cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggleplum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 6 gallon batch of apple juice cider going with Safale S-04, and have a few questions. The SG was about 1.054, and I just checked it after 7 days, and it is at 1.018. It is still going vigorously; I just wanted to see where I was. At this point, it tastes good, with the level of sweetness and flavor I was looking for (besides the massive amount of yeast still in suspension). Could I possibly cold crash this for several days, rack as needed, and it turn out OK? I have read about leaving the yeast in long enough to clean up byproducts and etc. Just curious if I should just let it ferment out completely then sweeten.

Thanks!

If you bottle, cold crash will not stop that yeast _ that gravity will produce bombs.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Bottle grenades happened to me I lost 2 cases just fortunate no one was around when they went up....what would you suggest...wait for the bubbler to stop bubbling? Is there a foolproof method?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you bottle, cold crash will not stop that yeast _ that gravity will produce bombs.

I was thinking of putting the entire carboy into my fridge, and going that route. Bottling after a week or so. Would that work OK?

I learned the hard way with a cyser. A cider at 1.052 OG should finish out around 1.000. I let mine sit a week or two after that to make sure it has stabilized. Then I add .75 to 1.0 oz. Of corn sugar per gallon to carbonate. If you dont want to carb, crash, then add sorbate and sulfite, and sweeten to taste. If u want sweet and carbed, check out the bottle pasteurization threads.

No. Those little yeasters are just sleeping. When they wake up they will go nuts over the fermentable sugar that is in there.

Obviously, saccharomyces has a low and high temp threshold at which the yeast will perish. BUT, the avg. of 40F attained by most fridges will not kill the yeast. As afore mentioned by mdabbles, the yeast are simply in a dormant state. Personally, i always want my cider to finish at 1.000( I brew hard cider exclusively.) I may be telling on myself as a person who is overly preoccupied with ABV attained, but i find that a dry cider that is well carbonated and maxed out on ABV can be incredibly complex.

Bottle pasteurization is the only way to stop your yeast and have some sweetness. There is a sticky about stove top method (about 6 bottles at a time )and a cooler method (depends on how big your cooler is ). Also the 5 day country cider thread had some good info in it about sweet cider.

Back