Help needed adjusting pH and acid in pear cider wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forbidden Garden

Reaction score
Hello. I will be trying to make a pear cider. Now, before fermentation, my wort parameters are:
pH: 4,4
acid: 2,5g/l.
Brix: 11.
I am not sure are those parameters ok to make a good pear cider? Should i improve acid level by adding mixed acid? How much would be ok?

You could try adding Malic acid according to your taste preference which is subjective at bottling.
Thank You for the answer. I am completely new to cider making (made only beer and wine before). I have read in cider.org.uk some sentences about pH, that made me think that my parameters may not lead to good result. I quote them:
" At higher pH the fermentation will be subject to microbial infection and at pH 4.0 or above this can lead to serious flavour problems. Many traditional bittersweet cider apples tend to be high in pH which is why they need blending with more acid fruit, preferably before fermentation ".
That is why i am worried now..

Never done a Perry, but for cider my orchard juices start at pH of 3.4 and typically 0.5% TA. I will adjust finished product for 0.6% TA. From what I've read, the experts say to always start below 3.8 pH.

Same as Maylar I haven't done Perry. My apples are mostly eating and cooking and I typically get low acid juice with pH above 4.0. My last "adjustment" was 5g (about a teaspoon) of Malic Acid per Litre which brought the pH down to 3.7 and a TA of 5g/L (0.5%). Adding acid by taste is a pretty good guide.

I've been making cider, wine and beer for 20+ years, don't have a PH meter and don't have a clue what my PH is of anything I make.
Yeah, I know I, should really get around to getting one and get with the modern program, but I just like to keep most things simple.
PH is just a number and by changing that number you are changing other things that you'll notice.
Early on, I tried making adjustments to wine grape juice without really knowing what I was doing and after a few seasons decided to just let the wine/cider be what it is and blend it to taste after fermentation. I've made "perry" without real perry pears and the results weren't all that great.
A good portion of it got used for cooking, but some I blended with cider that was too acidic as it was. I've got some perry pears in the ground now, and I'll probably start getting enough pears when I'm too old to drink anymore. So if you want to make perry, get some land and get those trees planted.
If you have access to real perry pears, then there are some perry makers around, ask them what a good blend of varieties works.
So my 2 cents: Toss in your yeast and let your pear juice ferment and then let it settle and taste it. Make adjustments later, but I would suggest making a cider with some acidic tart apples and using that for blending. If you are concerned about infection, there are other ways to deal with that including adding sugar to bump up you ABV, fortifying the beverage with spirits or using sulfites.

Last edited:
Back