HELP: Need to name brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I just read the mega-thread about brewery names and have been trying to come up with one.

I have a few ideas kicking around but nothing that jumps out and says "pick me"

The Donk - from my last name Onderdonk
3 Peaks Brewing - from a mountain in Maine my family has been hiking since the 1920s
Belltower Brewing - the college I went to had a huge belltower
Wonderdonk Brewing Co- last name with a W in front of it.

Could also include:
I'm pretty crappy with names, help?!

The Donk - from my last name Onderdonk
Meh. People wouldn't probably get that, but it's not terrible.

3 Peaks Brewing - from a mountain in Maine my family has been hiking since the 1920s
Love it!

Belltower Brewing - the college I went to had a huge belltower
Who's didn't?

Wonderdonk Brewing Co- last name with a W in front of it.
See comment #1

Finding a name that fits can be tough. I went by DD Brewery (Dexter Dog, my pup) for a year knowing it wasn't my end-all before I settled on Barefoot Brewery. Go with what feels good to you, something you can keep going back to and not feel wierd or unsettled about it.

Why do people have to understand it? I don't know why you're called Barefoot. I like Wonderdonk, or House of Donk. With a name like that it's a sin to waste it. Donk Donk Who's There pale ale, etc.

But then my 'brewery' is named after a story involving Greek goddesses and hot dogs, so who am I to talk?

"Who's didnt" - that's hilarious!

Sorry jacksonbrown, but on the others I disagree completely. I thought The Donk was money until I saw Wonderdonk Brewing Co - it's catchy, unique, and 99% your name.

I love the name, but it also has some negative connotations. Personally, I don't know that I would grab a Wonderdonk. But I do love saying it.
Sigafoos, you're right, it really doesn't have to make sense. Don't know why I brought that up.

I think you have to just hang out and NOT name your brewery - one will come naturally. Like a name for a pet - it just happens.

Wonderdonk is fantastic.

There's a Belgian brewery called Corsendonk that I thought of when I read it, but I like it a lot. House of Donk is good, too, but I like Wonderdonk more.

I'd take "Wonderdonk," (which is, in fact, money) and turn it into "Wünderdonk," because why the hell not?

Onderdonk translates from Dutch to "From the knoll of the swamp".

I've been waiting around for something to stick for almost a year, maybe i should just drink some more.

Just as an FYI: there is a commercial operation here called Four Peaks Brewery. Not to dissuade you, just to inform.

Go with Five Peaks, then: '25% more peaks than our competition!' (I know you aren't actually competing with them, but fake rivalries are fun :))

Over the Barrel Brewery

also a slang term for a common punishment for sailors when they get tied to the cannon of a ship

I've also considered "East of the Sun, West of the Moon Brewing" after a book of fairy tales my father read me when I was young.

maybe just go with your last name. when there's a 'w' in front of it it makes me think of willy wonka

Wonderdonk seems pretty much perfect - your other suggestions all sound like a dozen other breweries. It's memorable and personal, and kind of funny.

Back