HELP! Need recipe for IIPA that showcases Mosaic hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyn

Reaction score
So I have this crazy idea in my head. I want a beer thats:

* Very pale in color, as pale as I can get it

* Malt forward with some residual sweetness

* Still has a bright hop flavor, and showcases the fruity flavors of Mosaic hops

I know that none of these things really all belong in the style, so even if I'm breaking the style, this is the kind of thing I'm looking to do.

I have a pretty good idea on how I'm going to do it (Mostly 2-row, with CaraPils and flaked oats, maybe some vienna), and I'll be bittering with the stuff I have on hand (Glacier and Chinook), but I'll be hop-bursting with Mosaic, and dry hopping with Mosaic.

The result that I'm looking for is a ~1.085 OG, ~1.022 FG, with bright hop flavors and some nice malty undertones. Somewhat sweet, and very powerful. This brew is an idea for my upcoming bachelor party August 2nd.

My biggest question is:

WHAT YEAST DO I USE?

I have S-04, Nottingham, WY3711 and WLP400 on hand, and my LHBS has a pretty decent selection.

Temperature control is a little bit of an issue too. I can only swamp cool, and keep the swamp cooler water at about 65 at best.

Any help is much appreciated.

Leave out the Vienna, use 2 row, carapils and oats...mash at about 155. Hopbursting with the Mosaic and a 2 stage dryhop is a good plan. I would use Wyeast American Ale II, it is a touch fruity and more malt-forward than 1056 and isn't too temp fussy. Good luck!

The Vienna has great flavor, but the price is color, and you seem to want the lightest color possible. If you had a mind to, you could add some corn grits and/or white wheat (10-25%) to lighten it up even further.

I'll second ahurd110's recommendation for Wyeast AA2 - a little more character than 1056. Nottingham (which you have) is a really good yeast, giving fruity flavors as you get it warmer (low 70 degF). Denny's Favorite Fifty is a good IPA yeast, as well.

I don't think I have time to wait for WyeastAA2 to arrive on my door. I have to do it this weekend. My LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast, but they do have a decent selection of White Labs, along with every dry yeast out there. I'll probably just end up pitching 2-3 packets of US-05 in there. As I understand, it'll attenuate to where I want it, and give the hops that little extra brightness, and I really want them to pop out.

Wyeast 1272 AA2 = WLP051 California Ale 5

US-05 is a great yeast. The Mr. Malty calculator give a 1 1/2 packet result for your OG (assuming 5 1/4 gallons).

Post how it turns out.

I've decided to use WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. My OG is going to be right around 1.085, which, using this yeast, should give me and OG of about 1.020, which is my target.

I'll mash at 155, a nice balance of fermentables and those lovely sweet non-fermentables. Working on the proposed recipe now.

WLP090 is great in a IIPA. If it's light in color you want, for a IIPA you can't beat 97% Pils malt and 3% carapils, which would be better as a dry beer, which is what I want in IIPA. Personally, I would rather go half/half 2-row and Maris Otter with a bit of c-pils for a IIPA, though. That I think would be a tastier beer. I'm with others that DRY is what you want, because a beer of this gravity is going to have plenty of residual sweetness and malt character regardless of what's in it. Mashing high and more crystal is just going to give you sweetness, that I really don't want in a IIPA.

Back