HELP!!! Need parts list for WELDING ball vale to brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
So, I got a great deal on a 15 gallon aluminum brew-pot. I tried to install a weld-less kettle valve from Williams Brewing, but I drilled the hole a little off on the outside of the pot and it leaks. I tried to add another o-ring on the outside to seal it, but no good. I do not want to try to mess with trying to find a high temperature, food grade adhesive/sealant because I cannot nail down a straight answer on which one(s) are actually safe to use on the kettle.

So in a last ditch effort to salvage the pot, I am thinking of just having a the pot welded to accept the ball valve and kettle screen. If I have to buy a new pot, the wife will not be too pleased, and neither will I.

I have found a lot of info on adding a weld-less ball valve, but not on welding one. If you have a parts list, please share.

Thanks,

Joe

Sadly im not sure that you could weld one, the only thing I can think of is getting a 1 inch valve set up and making the hole larger

I dont know if the bigger fitting will resolve this issue. Sounds like his present hole is already so low on the wall that it involves the curve to the bottom heat plate. Is that the case Joe?

On the original question, welding the fitting... Aluminum and SS cannot be welded because of their properties prevent that bond. If you achieved a seal with a weld, braze or solder job, it would fail in short order. Certain metals can't really be mixed that way.

No. The home is in the right spot. The hole saw jumped when I was drilling and the hole is oblong. Also, the instructions state to drill a 7/8" hole. I think it is a bit too big.

I really just need to find a way to mount some sort of ball valve so I do not have to throw out a brand new and now useless pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am trying to find an aluminum bulk head fitting that will work. If I can, I should be able to get it welded.

If you find a bulkhead fitting in aluminum, find out the alloy.
5000 and 6000 series are very weldable, even to your "unknown" alloy kettle.
2000 and 7000 series don't do a reliable weld, they like to crack.

Edit: I mention these because I work with them daily, but not necessarily from a weldable standpoint, I just know of these properties.

No. The home is in the right spot. The hole saw jumped when I was drilling and the hole is oblong. Also, the instructions state to drill a 7/8" hole. I think it is a bit too big.

I really just need to find a way to mount some sort of ball valve so I do not have to throw out a brand new and now useless pot.

I think the best option then is to go for a 3/4" ball valve. or you could try make some bigger gaskets out of silicone baking sheet

An aluminum/aluminum weld is rare for ferrous guys, but can be done easily enough by the right shop. If a concave surface isn't part of the issue, the oversized weldless bulkhead fitting should still be an option, provided the wall can support it.

What if you just have a welder guy weld a patch and grind it smooth? Then you could drill a new hole

Back