Help! Need brew stand ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
Okay, so I used to brew quite often, but then life got in the way etc. and I haven't brewed in about 3-4 years... I am going to start getting back into it, but want to build a basic brew stand for my setup, but have a hard time remembering the setup. I bought a pump right before I started, but never got to use it since I just used to setup my equipment on tables and stagger them. Does anyone have a basic idea for a brew stand design? I have 2x4s for the frame and was thinking of just a single tier basic design.

I have the following equipment for the stand.

2 bayou burners
1 15 gallon stainless HLT
10 gallon igloo cooler mash tun
1 stainless brew kettle (can't remember size, but about same size as HLT)
March pump
immersion wort chiller
pre chiller

Brew Stands can vary a lot between brewers, at least as far as the details go. In your case, you already think you want a single tier design, so the most obvious factor is decided.

I'd hit up Google Images for some brew stand terms and see what others have done. I think it's the best way to quickly see what the options are.

There is also a DIY section on HBT that might contain more detailed information about putting them together. I've been designing a single burner BIAB stand that can be packed away pretty small, or transported. It's not what you are looking for, and made out of steel, but if you are curious I can post images/plans (Modeled in OnShape).

My current rig is a 3-vessel single tier that I put together (Am still putting together) from a large format copier stand I stole from work when they were pitching it. This isn't likely useful since it's basically all put together (except the wiring.) and it's Electric (Hence the wiring.)

Thanks. I didn't think to just look on Google Images. I'll do that. This brings up another question. I am not familiar with pumps and to set that all up. Can I still do a single tier stand with just one pump? Or would I need two pumps? I just used to stack everything at various levels however I could and let gravity do the work. I do have one pump.

The one thing I will mention for when you plan your build - think of the height of the top of the vessels, not just the top of the brew stand.

Checked out the "show us your brew stand" thread. I definitely saw some that I can get some ideas from. I used to batch sparge before, so that should be okay and then maybe down the line I'll add a second pump to fly sparge.I was thinking of building it lower so that I can see in the kettles without having to use a ladder.

I thought I knew what I wanted in a brew stand, but after a number of sessions using cobbled up stuff to make it work, I've learned what works for me and what doesn't.

Some key things to consider (or at least what mattered to me):
Number one on my list was to have a system where I could look into all vessels without a ladder. But I really also wanted a 3 tier rig to minimize pumping and make it easier to get known volumes for my batch sparge process. I also wanted room to store everything when not in use and wheels so I could cover it (with a grill cover) wheel it to the side of the garage when not in use.

I ultimately decided on a two tier stand where the floor serves as a third tier. The top of my HLT cooler will still be low enough to look into without a ladder, yet it is all gravity fed except for pumping strike/sparge water to the HLT. I also only use one burner.

Bottom line: make sure you're settled in on a process before you build a rig (unless you don't mind re-doing it again later). I'm also making mine from strut so that it's easy to reconfigure if I do change my mind.

I definitely want to be able to look into the kettles without a ladder, so I am thinking a single tier. However, I did see some that were two tier like you mentioned with the brew kettle on the ground. That is an interesting idea and then I could just use gravity to transfer from the mash tun to the boil kettle since I only have one pump.

I definitely want to be able to look into the kettles without a ladder, so I am thinking a single tier. However, I did see some that were two tier like you mentioned with the brew kettle on the ground. That is an interesting idea and then I could just use gravity to transfer from the mash tun to the boil kettle since I only have one pump.

Here's the one I'm planning to build. You don't have to go with the strut, but the dimensions might work for you. The top of the HLT is 5'4" off the ground, so most people can look in (I'm 5'7"...I think it'll work fine for me).

3TierBrewStand.jpg

Latest posts

Back