Help naming my light-hybrid recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's not really a Kolsch, and it's definitely not a pilsner, though it has aspects of both, so it's just a general "light hybrid" beer. I am stumped on coming up with a witty name for it.

I love puns, so the more groan-worthy the better, and feel free to critique the recipe! brew day is saturday and the only thing locked in is the yeast because the starter is already going.

Grain Bill

8 lb Pilsner malt
1 lb White wheat malt
0.5 lb Carapils
4 oz Acidulated malt

Hop Schedule
90 minute boil
0.5 oz Saaz @ 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz @ 45 minutes
1.5 oz Liberty @ 10 minutes
1 oz Saaz @ flameout

Yeast
WY1056 in a big healthy starter aiming for 1 million cells/mL

Vital Stats/other info
OG 1.050 FG 1.010
ABV 5.3%
34-43 IBU (depending on calculation method)
Full volume no sparge BIAB mash at 149'F for 90 minutes
Fermentation 1 week in primary at 65'F, 1 week in clearing vessel at 65'F
Fining with gelatin
Bottling and aging 3 weeks

Thanks in advance folks!

wouldnt you need a hybrid or a lager yeast for it to be a pilsner or kolsch? or are you planning on lagering it or something?

"When Liberty met Saazy" ?

*click to see full size*

"Brewed with Liberty and Saaz hops"
"It's not a pilsner or a kolsch" - M00ps

wouldnt you need a hybrid or a lager yeast for it to be a pilsner or kolsch? or are you planning on lagering it or something?

Kolsch yeast (Wy2565) is pretty similar in flavor profile to Wy1056, and I intended to get the 2565 originally but my LHBS was fresh out, so I'm counting the 15% overpitch of 1056 as a hybrid yeast since it should yield very similar results (I hope)

So far When Liberty Met Saazy is the clear winner unless some other prince charming of a name sweeps me off my man-feet

Recipe came out pretty good. It has an odd biscuity flavor to it though, and I'll up the IBU's next time, a few more tweaks and this will be a house beer during the summer months.

Back