HELP: my lager isnt done and I'm in the middle of brewing an IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So heres the deal, ive had an oktoberfest fermenting in my ferm chamber for 12 days now and figured it was time for the D-rest, so I went ahead and started to brew an IPA today. I was planning on taking the lager out of the chamber for the D-rest, allowing me to put the IPA in. I just took a grav reading on the lager and its only at 1.030 (using wyeast munich lager yeast). I now have this IPA on the stove and i plan to use the danstar west-coast ale yeast. My question is, what would be the best course of action to ensure both beers ferment properly? My basement is at 72*F, so should I let the IPA ferment at room temp? Or should I ramp the lager up to around 55*F and put the IPA in the chamber along with the lager? Any insight/help would be very much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd like to do this without having to rig something up like that. I've never done a swamp cooler and I dont think I have anything big enough to hold the carboy and water.

I second the swamp cooler for the IPA. 55 degrees will be to cold for the IPA and mid sixties might be too warm for the Lager.

Push comes to shove I would ferment the IPA at low to mid sixties with the lager in there then when the activity on the IPA slows remove it from the chamber and do the lagering stage on your lager.

I think getting a large bucket to put your carboy in is a good investment. I recently picked up a bucket at the supermarket for about $5. I use water (obviously), and switch out frozen coke bottles twice a day. I can ferment at approximately 62ºF, which is getting me really good results.

So heres the deal, ive had an oktoberfest fermenting in my ferm chamber for 12 days now and figured it was time for the D-rest, so I went ahead and started to brew an IPA today. I was planning on taking the lager out of the chamber for the D-rest, allowing me to put the IPA in. I just took a grav reading on the lager and its only at 1.030 (using wyeast munich lager yeast). I now have this IPA on the stove and i plan to use the danstar west-coast ale yeast. My question is, what would be the best course of action to ensure both beers ferment properly? My basement is at 72*F, so should I let the IPA ferment at room temp? Or should I ramp the lager up to around 55*F and put the IPA in the chamber along with the lager? Any insight/help would be very much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I assume you used a hydrometer, and not a refractometer for the SG reading of the lager?

It's tough, because you're about 10 points too high for a typical diacetyl rest.

I haven't been brewing all that long but I ferment all my ales @70f and haven't had a problem. Use safeale 05 but I think I'm good. Dozen brews in so far Everything been great so far

Seems like fermentation is slow on the lager. Did you use a starter?
I would not ferment the IPA at 72, it's easy enough to do a swamp cooler and that would be my recommendation too.

OG 1.054

Wyeast Munich Lager has an attenuation range of 70-74%, so let's say 72%.

54 * (1 - 0.72) = 15.12

So you're FG target is rounded to 1.015.

75% of the way through your fermentation for a d-rest should be:

((54 - 15) * (1 - 0.75)) + 15 = 24.75

Or rounded to: 1.025

At 1.030 you're only 5 points away from your 75% d-rest target, I'd say you're close enough. Set your fermenter's temp to 65 and put both your lager and your ale in. You can cold crash them together once the ale is done fermenting, then set the temp on the cold side of serving temp for the lager to "lager" for a month or two while you drink the ale.

Back