Help, my beer tastes like....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu6251

Reaction score
the strangest thing and i can't figure it out.

Made a Jubleale clone, 5 gallon partial mash, and just tested a couple botttles 12 days after bottling. I popped them in the fridge for 48 hours to chill. After opening and pouring very carefully there was an amazing amount of head. It appeared at first that there was too much carbonation ( I used 4 oz raw sugar/2 cups water) as there were TONS of tiny bubbles floating to the surface just like a glass of champagne. The flavor was very sharp on the tongue and again tasted WAY over carbonated. Opened the second bottle and let it sit for a few minutes as I watched the bubbles rise like crazy in the bottle and slowly a head was forming in the bottle and eventually started coming out the top like a science project. This is my 10th batch and have never seen anything like this....question of the day: Is my beer ruined? The beer tasted great at bottling, but I guess an possible infection can come at any time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I did leave it in the primary for 3 weeks. This was my first time NOT transferring to a secondary.

[ame]http://youtu.be/FlBlnTfZ2iw[/ame]

Check this out it might help you understand what is going on .....12 days is too early IMO

No, there were no additions, just the grain bill and hops:

4.5# DME
3.5 # 2-row
1.5 # Crystal 120
12 oz Crystal 80
2 oz Carapils
1 oz Roasted Barley

Smacked with 1 pkt Safale US-05

Started fermentation at 62 degrees and ended at 68 degrees

That is a reasonable attenuation rate. If it is overcarbed and you didn't severely undershoot your volume, I'd guess a wild yeast is the cause of the overcarb.

I got damn near all 5 gallons at bottling. After reading a few threads on here, I thought it would be best to throw all the beer in the fridge to chill hoping it would stop further carbonation. Do you think this is something that will mellow over time, can CO2 be absorbed back into the beer?

Once the carbonation is in there, it's not going anywhere. I'm guessing if this is a wild yeast issue, some of the issue with the fact that it is very sharp on your tongue could actually be how you might be perceiving some phenolics. Once you pour the beer, you can shake out some of the carbonation which may help the issue.

Once the carbonation is in there, it's not going anywhere. I'm guessing if this is a wild yeast issue, some of the issue with the fact that it is very sharp on your tongue could actually be how you might be perceiving some phenolics. Once you pour the beer, you can shake out some of the carbonation which may help the issue.

Haven't heard the term wild yeast before, what exactly does that mean?

I means yeast form the air, not the stuff you added to ferment it.(basically your beer went bad). I'm pretty sure that's not what happened.

Here are some thoughts.....

Let it sit in the fridge longer. Quick temp changes can make your beer guiser. Use a cold glass as well.

It didn't ferment all the way (most of us long term AG'ers only use primaries now since Palmer says no need for secondaries with the advent of great yeast - WL and Wyeast)

This is solved by sticking the bottles in the fridge (the yeast will go dormant when they're cold)

You added too much corn sugar or didn't stir it enough when you bottled. Again, stick them in the fridge so the yeast can't feed on the sugars left in the bottle.

If the beer still tastes good, there are no infections or wild yeasties in there.

Hope that helps....

Back