Help! my beer tastes like a mixture malted barley hops and yeast what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
For some odd reason the beer I have been making tastes like a mixture of malted barley, hops and yeast. They all seem to have this flaw, and I can't figure out what I should do to fix it, what should I do with this beer?

Don't you hate those minor imperfections?

I've been told that putting those beers in a tall glass and drinking them as FAST as you can makes them taste better. Or at any rate, you'll not mind so much. I've heard it sometimes takes a few repeats of this procedure to get the desired effect.

Failing that, you should bottle or keg up a batch of your most recent tainted brew and ship it out to me, I will do my best to pinpoint exactly what you're tasting. :mug:

Donasay said:
For some odd reason the beer I have been making tastes like a mixture of malted barley, hops and yeast. They all seem to have this flaw, and I can't figure out what I should do to fix it, what should I do with this beer?

It's infected, contaminated, and likely suffers from hot-side aeration and yeast autolysis. You'll have to ship it to me for filtering and disposal.

And to top it all off, one of the carboys I filled with wort last week is totally infected with Yeast!

I am looking at it now and wow it is just one giant yeast infection...

Wow I suck at brewing.

well, if you're storing some of that horrible stuff in you winter brewing quarters I'd be happy to come and get rid of it for you. Congrats on the fine drinking. :mug:

You forgot to make a starter!

All you have to do is pour some Miller Lite into a jar, and shake it to aerate it. Then, 24-36 hours later, you pour that all over your kitchen floor.

Did you remember to drop your yeast on the floor before you pitched? Maybe you didnt get enough dirt and bird feathers mixed in when you swept it up.

Donasay said:

Hmm. Try diluting it with ~90% water pre-fermentation.

Well kai found your problem. You're not adding any water! Try adding about 5 gallons of water to the mix, see how that helps.

n00b.

Sounds like you're allergic to homebrew. Stick to BMC, they don't have any of those ingredients or flavors in them.

Do you guys think a 5 micron filter might help with the off flavor, I was thinking of buying one as my beers are nowhere near as clear as they should be.

Well I think I found your problem. I always use the same funnel to poor my wort in the carboy that I use to add oil and coolant to my car. Try that next time, you shouldn't have any problems!

Back