HELP my airlock keep blowing off !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illnastyimpreza

Reaction score
ok so far every batch of beer I have made has BLOWN the top of my airlock right onto the floor. I usualy find it a few days later sitting in a big puddle of beer on the floor.

Am I doing something wrong? What do you guys do so your airlock top floaty thing doesnt go flying off ???

ok so far every batch of beer I have made has BLOWN the top of my airlock right onto the floor. I usualy find it a few days later sitting in a big puddle of beer on the floor.

Am I doing something wrong? What do you guys do so your airlock top floaty thing doesnt go flying off ???

I'm still having coffee today, so I'm slow. What is this airlock top floaty thing?

I'm still having coffee today, so I'm slow. What is this airlock top floaty thing?

haha same here.

its the floaty thing inside

Airlock%20and%20Bung.JPG

3%20piece%20air%20lock.jpg

EDIT: ok after looking @ those pictures, I don't have the plastic CAP that goes ontop of my airlock... HHHMMM might this be the problem ?? :)

Oh, you blew your bong!

Well, it just sounds like the fermentation is extremely active. What works well with those airlocks is to remove the lid and "bong" part, and stick your racking tubing over the middle of the airlock. Then, put the other end of the tubing into a pitcher of water and sanitizer, so that the end is under the water. That's a blow-off tube, but it works as a very big airlock.

I lose those caps all the time. They aren't needed, but they help to keep fruitflies from committing hari kari in your airlock.

ahhhh ok cool.

what about just puting a piece of tape over the top of the airlock to keep the floaty thing from flying out ?? bad idea ? seems easier then yours :p

ahhhh ok cool.

what about just puting a piece of tape over the top of the airlock to keep the floaty thing from flying out ?? bad idea ? seems easier then yours :p

Well, the point is to allow co2 out, without letting any oxygen and bacteria and yeast in. If you take the co2 relief down (shut), you'll probably blow the entire lid off, and then clean up your ceiling. You'll have to clean it first, and then paint over the brown splotches.

Seems easier to use the blow off tube to me!

I use the S type of airlock, and have only had a problem when I brewed a raspberry beer and a seed clogged the opening. Nothing like fermenting raspberry all over your ceiling.

Trust Yooper. Like she said, many (if not most) of us here use some form of blow-off tube. Try doing a hefe without one. I dare you. :D

Back